Coming Soon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvan

Multiflorals assassin
Reaction score
I had to share the excitement :)

PhragkovachiiJewelOct2014.jpeg

PhragkovachiiJewelzoomOct2014.jpeg

That's very exciting to see! I'll look forward to more photos when it's fully open.

You indicate that it's a piece of 'Jewel'; but, then you say it was bought as a seedling in 2011. So, is it a selfing of 'Jewel'; or a sib with 'Jewel' as one parent? Or, was it a very small propagation of the original clone called 'Jewel'?

Last edited:
I never thought of that. If I remember correctly the botanical garden bought
a flask back in 2006. So, I think that it was from a selfing of the clone 'Jewel'.

Thanks Silvan. It's important to maintain the difference between a particular clone and the selfings from that clone. If this plant was ever to get an award, it can't have the clonal name 'Jewel' because that is actually another plant, it's parent. Even if it does not ever get awarded, if it turns out really nice, the MBG should give it it's own, unique clonal name.

Thanks Silvan. It's important to maintain the difference between a particular clone and the selfings from that clone. If this plant was ever to get an award, it can't have the clonal name 'Jewel' because that is actually another plant, it's parent. Even if it does not ever get awarded, if it turns out really nice, the MBG should give it it's own, unique clonal name.

Thanks for pointing that out John. I didn't know. I went to look at the label and
it was written 'Jewell' x self and not only 'Jewell'.So does it mean that I could call this clone 'Halloween' ? ;)

PhragkovachiiJewelOct2014Label.jpeg

darn! There's a purple spot on that almost perfect staminoid shield! Aaargh..lol

PhragkovachiiJewelOct2014zoom2.jpeg

Mine is coming from peruflora. i only dabble in phrags but decided to take the plunge on a pk!

There is nothing wrong with the purple spot...flower texture looks velvety...nice growing!

Thanks Justin. This plant has been quite the challenge compared to my 'Laura' x 'Ana' (in low spike;)) kovachiis from Peruflora take a bit of time to get used to our non south america climate. But once they do they grow rather fast for the species. And don't worry about getting your plant bare root. Like most of the phrags, it'll produce
a new flush of roots within 4 to 6 weeks time. What size of plant did you get?

Thanks Justin. This plant has been quite the challenge compared to my 'Laura' x 'Ana' (in low spike;)) kovachiis from Peruflora take a bit of time to get used to our non south america climate. But once they do they grow rather fast for the species. And don't worry about getting your plant bare root. Like most of the phrags, it'll produce
a new flush of roots within 4 to 6 weeks time. What size of plant did you get?

That's reassuring. I got the med size/previously bloomed.

Be sure to look at the plant. I also got a "previously" bloomed (size2) plant recently from them and the old growth didn't have a cut spike, ...

I'd also recommend for it's first cycle of growing to pot it in a regular bark mix with extra calcium (kinda like Pipingrock mix) and not let it stand
in a saucer of water until new roots emerges. And don't over pot, but water very frequently. :)

Back