Coel. Burfordiense update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
took a spike shot today. Now the flowers are fragrant. Can't say that it is strongly scented nor pleasantly.

P6020028.jpg

Ron, I hope you don't mind , if I post a photo of a bloom from a plant that I have since some years as Coel. pandurata! Not a big difference and the fragrance, you discribe is similar!!

Maybe the difference is visible at the lip as Uri suggested!

Indeed, these are each year again spectacular days when my different divisions of the plant are in bloom!!

Jean

coelogynepandurata00050if3.jpg

Jean, they look very similar. Jean are the p-bulbs close together or is there a large distance between p-bulbs? It is my understanding that there are many plants listed as pandurata, like mine was, but are actually Burfordiense. Pandurata p-bulbs are not close together.

This hybrid, whether natural or artificial, seems to be a prolific bloomer. I really like the contrast, and the size of the flowers is a plus.

Ron and Elena, here 2 pict. of my plants ( yes, they are large!!).
Ron, my impression is that the p-bulbs are close together, not as crowded as for my asperata as you may see on the 'group' pict of my 2006 blooming, by far more spectacular than this year's. Jean

'pandurata' 1

o0806051001slee8.jpg

'pandurata' 2 with 2 flower spikes coming

o0806051004sloe0.jpg

'group' with asperata front left side

coelogynepandurataasperbs0.jpg

Hey Jean,

You show us a terrific display with your group of flowering Coelogynes.

@Ron and Jean
Coel. pandurata as well as Coel. Burfordiense are really beauties :drool: and real feast for the eyes - at least for both of mine.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

They look similar to me... there is a slight difference on the lip.... Real beauties.....!!!!! :D

Jean, based on Cribbs' description of pandurata, the p-bulbs are widely spaced. That is why I don't think mine is pandurata, even though it came marked as such. Looking at yours, I wonder if we both have Burfordiense, for the spacing between your p-bulbs also look too close for the species.

Thank you for adding your pics to this thread and for enabling :) now I need an asperata!

I think Burfordiense is much more worth growing than pandurata... It seems to have hybrid vigour and frequent blooming... Pandurata does not do much for me... I have bought 2 in flower and have only managed to rebloom one plant once. It never did bloom again... :(

Latest posts

Back