coconut water

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because research organics are heat labile to some extent why not filter sterilize. It's not a difficult technique and the efficacy of the research organic would be unaffected. Many new to germination of orchid seed and Paphiopedilum in particular do not understand the need for seed to germinate in complete darkness.

No reason one couldn't filter sterilize. It is just an unnecessary step in media preparation. If one doesn't mind the inconvenience and (significantly) added expense of this step, then it is perfectly reasonable lab technique. I use it for gibberellins, as well as some other fungal inhibitors.

As far as seed germinating in total darkness, my answer is a solid "maybe". Certainly most epiphytic genera don't reuire any dark period, at least not in my experience. I have had various success with Paph seed, germinating in both light and dark conditions, and various combinations of the two.

Thanks for the news about banana. Do you use green or just ripe banana?

Also, how fast should the protocorms develop? Mine are now about 6 months old and are still little green dots with a little spike on top (the growth point I assume). These are of a cross of insigne x (Red Glory x Knock Knock). For a long time now the protocorms have been just sitting there doing nothing. Would replating onto fresh medium be a good idea? Germination was quite low---only 5 protocorms---and they were left to germinate in the dark.

I used Knudson C as my medium with banana as per the suggestion of Ian Walters (who also claims no problems with banana and Paphs).

Use ripe banana, as ripe as you can get. I prepare a large batch with the blender, and freeze in aliquots (ice cube trays wor well, but I freeze in a large flat sheet. It maes it easier to brea pieces off to get a needed weight. I still use 25 gm/Liter, but also use 25 gm potato puree/L. If I used only banana, I would use 50 gm/L.

Most germination media has a lower concentration of sugars, so seedlings need to be replated once germination has occured to insure faster growth by providing a higher plane of nutrition. Replating onto a "hotter" media may help your protocorms grow faster.

Thanks of the info, Brian. I will replate and see where that goes.

Interesting about the very ripe bananas. Others I have spoken to swear by green bananas---maybe that is why their Paph's don't germinate. Mine were semi-ripe (as green as I could get them).

I wonder if using less banana and more potato is your secret to Paph success. Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for the news about banana. Do you use green or just ripe banana?

Also, how fast should the protocorms develop? Mine are now about 6 months old and are still little green dots with a little spike on top (the growth point I assume). These are of a cross of insigne x (Red Glory x Knock Knock). For a long time now the protocorms have been just sitting there doing nothing. Would replating onto fresh medium be a good idea? Germination was quite low---only 5 protocorms---and they were left to germinate in the dark.

I used Knudson C as my medium with banana as per the suggestion of Ian Walters (who also claims no problems with banana and Paphs).

Thanks

I use Gerber Baby Food 'First Food' banana. It works the best and is consistent for quality.

I keep my mother bottles in complete darkness for at least 6 weeks before checking for germination. Do not keep peaking at the bottles. Let them be! After 6 weeks I am looking for white protocorm masses with maximum germination. The leaf primordial will be showing attached to a protocorm. They will be completely white, no photosynthesis will occur till you put them in the light.

Some crosses will be more productive than others.

I use as a base medium PytoTechnology Labs medium, P658 Orchid Maintenance Medium to which I add research organics and other additions from our last 35 years of experimentation. This will give you a good start and PhytoTechnology Labs will help with technique.

Hope this is helpful without giving away the store!

Sincerely,

Theresa Hill
Hillsview Gardens

Last edited:
I have used the baby food mashed bananas as well, but my experience is different thaqn yours, Theresa. However, you can't beat bananas in a jar for consistency and ease!

When I was growing up, and I would develop a leg cramp, my mother always told me I needed more potassium, and to eat a banana. Is this familiar to anyone else? The reason I ask is because we know that an incpotassium drives root growth, encouraging longer and deeper roots. Is there any trtuth to the idea that bananas have a significant level of potassium in them? Might this also encourage stronger growth of protocorms, or at least drive earlier differentiation?

As an aside for Brian: my iPhone nutrition program tells me :100 grams of raw banana has an average of 358 mg potassium vs 100 grams of orange juice having only 181 mg. Boiled kidney beans have more, though: 100 grams = 419 mg potassium!

If I was stranded on an island and had only one tree to choose to find/grow, it'd be banana.

If I was stranded on an island and had only one tree to choose to find/grow, it'd be banana.

I must agree with you completely as long as I can remember I'm eating a banana each and every day for breakfast. It's even that bad that I can become grumpy when were out of banana's. :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back