Christmas in California

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hasn't snowed here in Elk Grove in like 15 years so I knew the odds were against it. And even then it fell to the ground and melted. I guess we've still got a few more hours left that we could see a few flakes. Though I hear some neighboring towns actually saw some white stuff. We covered our smaller citrus trees last night and were out until near dark on a horse ranch helping friends. So, we were all bundled up in our gloves, hats, parkas etc. because it had to be in the 40's ;> I was born and raised in MA but you'd never know it, now. I am a wuss.

my aunt who grew up and after married lived in ny then upstate on a farm, now has to have the furnace running even in summer if the temps get below 60˚. of course this is after they have spent three winters down in florida! of course maybe the age factor helps as well. can't swim in pool if the water is below 78-80 even! (i'm sure i'll end up the same way someday...)

Candace, how I wish I lived in California! Even here in reasonably temperate Memphis, the charm of the cold weather has worn off after about 2 days or so. Can't wait for summer!

Brrrr!!! The weatherman just said it was going to get to -7 tonight here in Boise, ID.

today's forecast: -27 degree (C) for night. right now - quite warm, only -15 degree. :D

Some more pics of Christmas time in CA.

Persimmons or oranges anyone?

img4741u.jpg

img4742a.jpg

img4743a.jpg

Parka? 55F? I could send you my banana tree for the winter. I'd go too, but I really like the mind numbing cold and shoveling tons of snow. We get these kinds of temps in Spring and everybody is drinking cold beer outside on restaurant terraces.

Sadly, the orange season has passed over here in Sunny South Africa. We will have to settle with 30 deg C (80+ deg F) Christmas day and enjoy a big lunch of various cold meats or a BBQ. After we have stuffed ourselves more greedily than we were generous to the turkey we will congregate around the pool (or on the beach) and wait a very long 30 minutes before we can have swim and cool down.

Personally, I'm not fond of turkey and prefer the lamb as well as celebrate a little merry crispmas with with roast pork. :)

Merry Christmas!

I am green with envy ! I don't like cold, snow and was suppose to spend winters in Fl when hubby retired....That was before orchids....hard to haul 500 orchids to FL. !
Candace thanks for sharing your "warm" Christmas ! Just beautiful !:clap:

Too bad I don't like persimmons. And not many people we know love them, either. DH puts them in the dehydrator, but he can't eat them all.

Personally, I'm not fond of turkey and prefer the lamb as well as celebrate a little merry crispmas with with roast pork. :)

ever tried a crown roast of pork with oyster,apricot and cornbread (amongst other things) stuffing inside? not exactly a barbecue item, but it's very good!

I like persimmon juice alot, but it looks like it would be a lot of work to squeeze enough to get a glassful. it is expensive in the store, too

Hello Candace,
Was looking through a baking cookbook the other day and found three different recipes that use persimmons. I haven't tried them since I don't have access to them that much, but they are in the 'favorite recipes megathread' if you or anyone else wants to check them out

Latest posts

Back