Cattleya gaskelliana fma. alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This li'l beau greeted me on my return to work after my holiday. Seen the buds ready to burst, last time I swept past my office to water and feed - and as it's my first time blooming this species, I'm pretty excited. Wonderful, potent, though still fresh, flowery scent:20230816_155339.jpgPlant and flowers in toto:20230816_155422.jpg

Very ni e dark lip!!!!
I like that feature too, Istvan.

The plant might have been a little too much on the dry and maybe also on the hot side, when the flowers opened. I wonder, if more carefull supervision and a wee bit more TLC, when the flowers open next time round, might possibly have a positive effect on the stance of the dorsal?

Last edited:
Lovely flowers, Jens ..... so the C. percivalliana alba 'Anja' would have been superfluous for you last year. Hehe😇 🤣
......The plant might have been a little too much on the dry and maybe also on the hot side, when the flowers opened.......
These were also my thoughts when I saw the photos for the first glance.

Last edited:
Kudos to flowering your first cattleya species!! Not bad!
Thank you, Leslie, for your kind words... I suppose you mean 'classic Cattleya' in the very narrowest meaning of the concept?

As even Chadwick argues with great fervour and very convincingly (online I think), that the classification of Laelia purpurata within Laelia was an error from the beginning, and that this species from the start ought to have been placed within the genus Cattleya (as also some early authors proposed, not to speak of present botanists - and no matter the doubtfull, I save the word 'braindead' for use in further discussion, pollinia-criteria), I count the flowering of this gaskelliana my third classic Catt.! 😉

..... so the C. percivalliana alba 'Anja' would have been superfluous for you last year. Hehe😇 🤣
I'll just remind you of the fact, Rudolf, that 'an elephant never forgets'!!! Other wise words you better take ad notam in this context: "Revenge is a dish best served cold"! 😁
(Just for the information for others: Rudolf beat me to the post in an Ebay auction for the lovely percivaliana alba, that he later flowered adoringly - and had the gall to publish on STC, solely, I'm convinced, to rub salt into my already smarting wounds!)

I'm at the moment growing C. percivalliana alba 'Anja' x self on the windowsill, seemingly growing well, but still a young plant. Due to that, I am seriously pondering upon entering into negotiations with Hilmar for a division, if possible!

Last edited:
Corrigendum: it wasn't online, but rater in their monograph on 'The classic Cattleyas', that Chadwick argued the case for rightfully placing L. purpurata within the genus Cattleya.
Online it was only me 🙄 quoting them:
The Chadwicks, in their first edition of their book on The Classic Cattleyas, have a fascinating account of the history of the species (pp.153-157, 2006). It was in the 19th century described by preeminent botanists as Cattleya (e.g. Lemaire, Beer) as well as Laelia (Lindley). The Chadwicks rather wittily likened the chaotic status of the species' classification to "... a game of botanical checkers" (p. 156).
The Chadwicks chastisize Lindley's taxonomic position to place purpurata within the genus Laelia (later on to be codified by Bentham and Hooker, supported by Veitch) for only taking into account the number of pollinias, while neglecting other important features, such as geographical distribution ( Mexico vs. the South of Brazil) and other morphological features: "... it's pseudobulbs and flower spikes [are] like the typical South American large-flowered Cattleya species, not the Mexican laelias" (p. 155). That placing purpurata within Cattleya now furthermore is supported by emerging genetic evidence, no matter how misty, is to be considered, but only another piece of the puzzle.
The Chadwicks ascribe the circumstance that no one during the entire 20th century did challenge the classification, that kept the species purpurata out of the genus Cattleya, "despite its atrocious logic" to the fact, that "... even a child of three or four could tell the difference between four and eight".
In their words, "It... took modern science in a new millennium to separate Brazil from Mexico" (p. 156) - or, maybe, phrased in another way, that it is with the distinction behind the classification within laelia as it is with the Emperor's new clothes in the eponymous tale by my illustrious compatriot, where the Emperor was, indeed, wearing nothing, but the costume, God had made for Adam!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back