cattl. harrissoniae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness!!! Holy suspenders!! That is beautiful. What a pretty flower you have there.
I don’t know if I like the petals and sepals better or is it the lip? It is the lip, definitely the lip. That rich, dark golden yellow center with the thin red streaks is simply gorgeous.
Congratulations!!! 👍

Istvan, there has been long term confusion between harrisoniana and loddigesii and the AOS notes on a number of their harrisoniana awards that there is confusion with loddigesii. This includes an award to William Rogerson for a 4N mutation from a mericloning of Volcano Queen. Without detailed genotyping I don't think we can tell many of them apart. Whether pure harrisoniana or not, your flower is beautiful.

I am in no way a taxonomist, but I had operated under the assumption that harrisoniae had a clearly tri-lobed lip in which the side lobes did not conceal the column as in Istvan’s image.
The lip in loddigesii is tri-lobed but that is a very subtle tri-lobe. Those side lobes roll towards the center largely concealing the column.

I forget now which is which but I also thought for years that harrisoniae bloomed from a dead sheath and bloomed in late summer. Loddigesii blooms from a green sheath in the Spring.

I am in no way a taxonomist, but I had operated under the assumption that harrisoniae had a clearly tri-lobed lip in which the side lobes did not conceal the column as in Istvan’s image.
The lip in loddigesii is tri-lobed but that is a very subtle tri-lobe. Those side lobes roll towards the center largely concealing the column.

I forget now which is which but I also thought for years that harrisoniae bloomed from a dead sheath and bloomed in late summer. Loddigesii blooms from a green sheath in the Spring.
That would be great if those are consistent differences. I am not sure what features cause a substantial number of the AOS harrisoniana awards to have an asterisk and the comment about concern that some loddigesii might be mixed in there.

The introgression (cross breeding) of loddigesii and harrisonniae in the last few decades have added much confusion to the ID of the recent bloomings.

Like what Big923Cattleya says, the traits are there to help. Unfortunately these traits can crossover when these two are mixed and can masquerade as the other.

TerryRos pointed out that many of the awards for either of them show some traits of both, which I can attest to in my many viewings, and can be mistaken easily for the other.

The final determination looks to be this: if the majority of the traits shows for one more than the other, then it will most likely be that species (that it possesses the most traits for) and will most likely be identified and awarded as that (and if any doubt, should be sent to SITF for full identification).

The old adage: If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it is most certainly… a duck!

Thank you all for comments. This cross can be found under this name, too, as harrissoniae. There are several recorded and awarded plants under wrong name, eg. lueddemanniana s/a Cerro Verde , mossiae Willowbrook. So yes, maybe this one is really a loddigesii.God knows...Screenshot_20230919_111223.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back