Catasetum Jumbo Prime

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

OHHH so weird, just fascinating! Do I have a hermaphrodite? the tail? Or is it the sanguineum influence -upright flower spikes rather than pendulous, upside down flowers? Jumbo Prime = sanguineum x Susan Fuchs. The bloom is not totally open yet.
jrYoyLVl.jpg
7Eu8l1Sl.jpg

It's one happy plant, roots growing out of the net pot and a 3rd spike!
m4stoc9l.jpg
dJzd8xvl.jpg

eqS47SIl.jpg

Those are male flowers. If you touch the white 'trigger' it will eject pollen that will instantly adhere to your finger. I used to grow lots of Catasetums. My daughter would go out to the greenhouse when they opened and come back in the house with the pollen all over her fingers...

This plant is a riot! I thought the bloom wasn't quite opened but now I'm noticing pics where the 3 petals are somewhat fused so maybe it is? I'll know in a couple of days. Actually the flowers are sideways, I've gone ahead & staked it and placed it a bit more under the light. I've never seen a 'pouch' on a catasetum quite like this!
Interesting way of growing. How often do you water it?
Every 2-3 days. It's in my warm grow room now, it spent the summer outside. The net pot sits inside a bigger plastic hanging basket. This year when putting them out I gave one dose of the pelleted monthly fertilizer and then continued to use the K-light. The plants did so much better! Summer of 2012 I fertilized much heavier, rotating this, that & the other, not really happy with the results. If I lived in California or Hawaii, I imagine I could do a regimen that Fred Clarke suggests but living in the midwest, that didn't seem to quite work and then who knows summer of 2014 might be totally different!

Those are male flowers. If you touch the white 'trigger' it will eject pollen that will instantly adhere to your finger. I used to grow lots of Catasetums. My daughter would go out to the greenhouse when they opened and come back in the house with the pollen all over her fingers...
Fred - did you have any that had tails like this one? I'm not finding any species that does but another hybrid Jose Abalo (sanguineum x Orchidglade) does. Orchidglade is a parent of Susan Fuchs. A most interesting feature!

Hurrah for Catasetums!
I think they are normal males also.
You might be interested in checking out Catasetum Canada. A web page set up by friends in my society. Really helpful info.
http://catasetinaecanada.weebly.com/catasetum-ctsm---natural.html
Great growing!!!
Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I bookmarked that page & will go thru it but did find the Jose Abalo there!

Years ago I made a hybrid, I think it was Ctsm. Black Knight x tenebrosum. I named it after my father-in-law. The registered name is Portagee Star. Kind of a play on words. Here in Hawaii the Portugese people and often teased in a way similar to the way Polish people are, strictly joking of course. Instead of Polish jokes we have 'Portagee' jokes. My father-in-law, who is a surfing legend, part Portugese, part Hawaiian would always say 'I am not a surf star, I'm a Portagee star, not too bright. I always loved that joke so I registered the hybrid in his honor...

Latest posts

Back