Carnivorous plant help needed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey, um, you might want to take off the flowers as it looks like the species i have that dies after it blooms...
(they bloom this time of year so it may just have been coincidence with the pesticide application....)

likespaphs said:
hey, um, you might want to take off the flowers as it looks like the species i have that dies after it blooms...
(they bloom this time of year so it may just have been coincidence with the pesticide application....)

But if I take off the blooms we will never know if they die after bloom!
I think I'll leave them and see what happens.
Unless of course the blooms are ugly anyway? What did they look like on your plant?

likespaphs said:

Not all sundews die back after they flower. Your sundew looks like a D. Spatulata. These are tropical sundew and they do not die back after they flower.

eOrchids said:
Not all sundews die back after they flower. Your sundew looks like a D. Spatulata. ...

right, that's what i thought too. i think that all my spatulata seem to die after flowering... been picking off the flowers for a year or so now and they're still goin'...

interesting!

I had a couple of D. Spatulata a few years back that were just blooming their heads off and the plant was still putting out leaves.

Looks like D. spatulata to me too.

I don't grow any tropical sundews any longer and never have grown pygmies however I've read some conflicting advice on the use of flea collars from the ListServe and elsewhere.

When desperate, people resort to desperate means and frequently stumble upon something that works well for them.

Based on limited experience with Drosera, I'd opt for a wettable powder insecticide as recommended by MoreWater. Might not be good to consider using an oil based insecticide on any Drosera as those tend to strip them of their mucilage. Some recover, some don't.

One thing often overlooked by many who have had to deal with aphids is where did they come from and where else did they go after finding your plants? Bad news, ants farm aphids. If you did have aphids, and I don't know that you did or didn't, you might want to consider buying ant trap packs. Strategically place the ant traps around your growing area. What you want to avoid is the ants reintroducing aphids from their stash. And yes, ants will ferret off a portion of an aphid population to protect their honeydo.

you all have inspired me to get flea collars for my children

just kidding

yeah it looks like a D. spatulata, and mine continuously puts out flowers and does not die back

you all have inspired me to get flea collars for my children

just kidding

Don't sleep on that. When I worked in the woods I wore flea collars on my ankles to keep away the deer ticks. Unless you "mean flea collars for [i.e. to get rid of] my children". :poke:
"I love children, a little barbque sauce and cook them at 350 for a few hours."

I would imagine it would!
Have you ever seen the wrist bands or coils for humans?
:poke:What do you think they are? Which came first?:evil:

Latest posts

Back