Buying a flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Hi

Im planing on buying a flask of a multifloral hybrid, and i have decided on Paph. Angel Hair( Saint Swithin x sanderianum)

How would the culture and temperature requirements be for such a hybrid? Will it also take as long as rothschildianum which is in Saint Swithin's background to flower ?:)

Where are you planning on buying this flask from? Local or overseas, the reason why I ask is that the cost of shipping and handling of a single flask will make it very expensive.
Angel Hair is a great multi, not the easiest or fastest of the multis from flask, I would have considered St Swithin as a starter, but Angels are not bad. Find out when the flasking was done, if long ago, it is slow, also the roots will tend to be all knotted in the flask and you will be forced to pot them as a mass in a com-pot.

Where are you planning on buying this flask from? Local or overseas, the reason why I ask is that the cost of shipping and handling of a single flask will make it very expensive.
Angel Hair is a great multi, not the easiest or fastest of the multis from flask, I would have considered St Swithin as a starter, but Angels are not bad. Find out when the flasking was done, if long ago, it is slow, also the roots will tend to be all knotted in the flask and you will be forced to pot them as a mass in a com-pot.

A vendor of the durban show is bringing one down with his stuff, so the shipping cost is added to his stuff. He's got some great paph flasks but most are very expensive

Im quite good with deflasking. I handle them gentally and ive only lost like 3 plants per flask and sometimes none:)

Keep it warm and humid and the mix moist. Keep lots of air moving to avoid rot though. What have you deflasked before?

The roth can be slow, so can the sandies, so chances R you need to be patient.

Just to clarify this one Dane: have you actually deflasked Paphiopedilum before, or „just any old (other) species"? Just to advise you the best possible way, and to save you considerable money, as well as the disappointment…. I’d always recommend starting with an established COMPOT of a) an easy species/or hybrid, followed by another one more difficult, and once your cultivating skills are up to speed with compots,…you’d have my blessing to spend money on flasks.

Just to clarify this one Dane: have you actually deflasked Paphiopedilum before, or „just any old (other) species"? Just to advise you the best possible way, and to save you considerable money, as well as the disappointment…. I’d always recommend starting with an established COMPOT of a) an easy species/or hybrid, followed by another one more difficult, and once your cultivating skills are up to speed with compots,…you’d have my blessing to spend money on flasks.

I've never deflasked paphs, only phalaenopsis and cattleya. I just want to give deflasking a paph a try. I'll PM you the list and let you choose something that might be easier!

Grow and experiment with what you want. You'll have years to wait for them to flower so you may as well have something that you like. Saying that, Maudiae types grow very fast and are, I think, the easiest to de-flask and grow on.

Latest posts

Back