Bulbophyllum arfakianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Bulbophyllum arfakianum

This is sold as Bulbophyllum arfakianum (green type).

I think this flower maybe similar to Bulb. fraudulentum and Bulb. fritillariflorum

I don't know the difference. In a few days I will take a peek inside of this flower. Now that I see this flower in person, I'm becoming more intrigued by it.

781dcf60df02fda1f42c36c3df6d35f9.jpg

Thank you all.

Bulbophyllum arfakianum - peekaboo

First thing visible is the wiggly lip. Petals are really tiny - visible in the last photo but blurry. This is the best I can do with my phone camera.
Does anyone know what iphone app I can use to draw pointed arrow?

a902a1fe04f1f6a985aa0d222bb8d62e.jpg

Hey Peter.

Happy New Year! This is a very cool color form of B. arfakianum

I have B. fritilariflorum and the differences can be subtle.

1) The petals (which I can see in the pic when you opened the flower up) are blade shaped in arfakianum, but are tear-drop shaped with a short filament extension in fritilariflorum.

2) Flower size can be variable, but the largest arfakianum tend to be a few CM shorter than fritilariflorum. I had a frit flower that cleared 13cm long on my big plant, but a first bloom seedling had a flower that was barely 7-8 cm.

3) This hasn't been documented in txt that I've accessed, but my frit smells like puke on a warm sunny afternoon. I don't know if you can detect an odor in this flower so that would be worth noting since a lot of similar bulbo species often have very different smells.

From what I've seen fraudulentum has relatively small glossy flowers.

Hi Rick,
Thank you. Today is cloudy but I had a chance to take couple photos. I think this flower is not going to open further. Today it smells like cheese. It's not a bad scent. It smells better than Bulb annandalei that is more like fermented cheese

243b2bbe58ed22113158a1ebe5e11f3e.jpg

Peter

The petals match for arfakianum rather than fritilariflorum , being almost like blades or triangles rather than teardrops with almost hair like filament.

Seems like really splitting hairs if you look at it from the structure basis.

From an eco / pollinator basis the fragrance is probably much more important to who is going to show up and move pollen around, and it sounds like this flower is quite a bit different from mine (nasty barf smell, not cheese).

These greenish versions may be a new species altogether!!

I just had one of my frittilariaflorum flowers open enough so took it apart to photograph the petals.

This flower was 10cm at first opening, and would have expected to get another couple cm over the next couple days if I hadn't broke it.

You can see the filaments at the tips of the petals in this species.

Latest posts

Back