Bulbo. appendiculatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Had to squeeze in one of my Bulbos in bloom. I'm not sure if there is any real difference between appendiculatum versus ornatisimum. This flower is exceptionally longer than its previous bloomings and what most species descriptions state. This flower is 21cm long

Great flower and size Rick! Any special growing conditions for this one?, my ornatissimum is dying away slowly but surely!! Jean

Great flower and size Rick! Any special growing conditions for this one?, my ornatissimum is dying away slowly but surely!! Jean

This one is not real fast growing for me (it kind of grows in fits and spurts too), and I'm not sure if its just were I stuck it.

I have it in fairly low light in the breezy center isle of my GH. It tends to stay below 85F there too.

It's in a slat type wooden basket of sphagnum moss. It probably gets allot of the mist from the fogger when it runs during the heat of the day and stays pretty wet. I also water it with RO water about every morning on top of that.

I should add that the person who gave me the piece of this plant I started with grew it very well on his kitchen windowsill (clay pot and bark mix if I remember correctly). I think that it was a south facing window, and they kept the house around 75F or less.

So I thought this was a pretty tough plant.

It resembles fascinator, but with different colours....and of course much longer..... Cool!!!!!!!

It resembles fascinator, but with different colours....and of course much longer..... Cool!!!!!!!

Yes it does. There are a handful of species in what are sometimes called Mastigions instead of Bulbophyllums.

fascinator, appendiculatum, ornatissimum, putidum. Depending on who you talk to they are all putidum or four different species. I wouldn't be surprised if they all end up being one big smeary species with fascinator and appendiculatum being the most extreme versions.

fascinator is usually bigger than appendiculatum, but this flower is unusually long.

Back