Bulb. grandiflorum x arfakianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
i saw this cross in a local vendor's catalog. I am wondering would it be...

(1) an easy grower for a bulbo novice
(2) does it smell? (im growing it in my bedroom with all the other orchids, u know wat i mean...)
(3) how big does it get
(4) would be a compact or a leggy-type of bulbo

thanks guys for all the help ^^

This is a pretty interesting cross that I've never seen. I have grandiflorum and fritilariflorum so I could make some guesses if no one else has actuall experience with this cross.

thanks rick, i saw your grandiflorum and fritilariflorum on another site, and they very well grown--and in a greenhouse too. unfortunately, i'm only limited to a home and a windowsill >.<"

Are you growing any Bulbos now? The only time I've had them die was before the humidity control I installed in the GH. Once I forced the humidity to stay in xcess of 60-70 percent the bulbos took off.

Grandma looks to have very successful indoor culture, and a grower who goes by Mile High (on OSF) grows in a basement. But in both cases I think they pay attention to air quality in their growing area.

Are you growing any Bulbos now? The only time I've had them die was before the humidity control I installed in the GH. Once I forced the humidity to stay in xcess of 60-70 percent the bulbos took off.

Grandma looks to have very successful indoor culture, and a grower who goes by Mile High (on OSF) grows in a basement. But in both cases I think they pay attention to air quality in their growing area.

I think the combination of the two species in question would be manageable indoors under lights.

"Mile High (on OSF) grows in a basement" He has built a greenhouse.
Growing these on windowsills are not easy. A light cart with a plastic cover would work for they like warm and humid but with good air circulation.

If you want to try a Bulbo and see if it would work for you, I could send you a division of lepidum if you are willing to pay the postage. This way you can see how it goes for you with under a $5 investment. No big loss if it dies. PM me if interested.

EDIT: never mind...forgot you are not in US

i currently have 1 bulbo at home. it is named makoyanum but i think it could be a lepidum. gotta see when it blooms in a few more days.

that one, i dunno... seems ok and sometimes it seems not. i dunno, gotta give it more time to observe.

well unfortunately i spoke with the vendor and he says it (the cross im talking about) smells so that is a definite nono for me since i grow them in my bedroom.

but i'm still seeing if i can get a few bulbos which do smell nice

thanks Ron for the offer but like u said, across the border unfortunately

Patens, werneri, and macranthum are good smelling, and pretty tough, but real ramblers

My cornutum is also very nice smelling, but very sensitive to low humidity.

A fun small one, that isn't bad on smell, that would probably do good is lasiochilum.

Odoratisimum smells great, is not big, but I haven't found a spot in my GH that makes it especially happy.

Latest posts

Back