buggy plant from ebay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe we’re looking at a virus plant, and told the vendor the same thing. I haven’t seen many virus Paphios yet, but it does look suspiciously like one.
Would you agree with that? The picture is a bit over-exposed because of the flash, but without it you wouldn’t see the full extent…

I don't know if it's a virus, but it sure wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that it is. The look of it scares me too! :(

I thought all new plants one acquired should be quaranteened!? Did that go out of fashion?

Nope! I quarantine all newcomers to make sure there are no diseases, fungi or bugs, and I routinely preventatively treat them all for insects as well.

So then!
My problem seems sorted. The Vendor got back to me in the morning, saying that we should just wait and see. He did offer to replace the plant in due course should the “virus prove true”, which he said he doubted.

I again told him that I did not want to hang around and wait for a potentially dangerous plant to maybe infect others within my collection. I on the other side did offer to return the plant on my expense for a replacement. All pleasant and professionally kept I must stress.
He then got back to me to offer a replacement, and that he didn’t want this plant sent back. He also offered that I check out his other Ebay auctions, to see if there’s anything else in there for me. Now, that to me is service, and yes!!! I will take him up on that one, just to show that I will remain a customer with them.
There’s no 2 ways about it, this plant should not have been sent out in the first place. Bygones. Again, I’m totally satisfied with this outcome.

It shows, talking to people on a professional level does make sense. For both.
;):clap:

I know that to some this whole sort of thing is unpleasant and people don’t want to cause trouble. I feel exactly the same about it, hence: I find that stuff difficult. But… be nice, and say what needs to be said. This one here will not cause the vendor damage, and I will keep buying from them. The end in this case is a win-win situation. :)

glad to hear it worked out for you John Boy, I also hesitate to complain. BUt this last incident of infested plant was too much to remain silent... As a buyer we should receive healthy plants . Sellers should take the time and care to provide these plants. If they can not do this , they need to know we are unhappy. When I sold phrags online I always assured the buyer the sale was not complete unless they were happy with both the orchids and the service in general. Its just good business to sell a good product.

I rarely sell, but usually trade. I always give notice they have bugs - whether they do or not (I might not know I have a problem till days after sending a plant out - remember, bugs tend to show up 'overnight'. And summering them outside tends to guarantee additional livestock.)

Back