Brassia verrucosa and Brassia longississima

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dot - Because of issues beyond my control I only got to repotting the Brassia longississima at easter (3 weeks ago). I was looking at the plant today and noticed to my astonishment that there were new growths popping out everywhere. These were coming primarily from this seasons new growths which are yet to flower. So within the one growing season I have had 2 periods of growths. This has never happened to this plant before. Normally new growths appear from early summer which mature and then flower the the following late spring. After they flower then new growths appear and so on.

So rather than set the plant back, the repotting seems to have encouraged the plant to push out a whole lot of new growths. I will be repotting this plant in autumn in future, that's for sure.

David
Wow! You should have a spectacular display when it blooms. I'm also encouraged to hear that repotting Brassias are not a problem, at least not for you!

bloom is very pretty, I grow some Brassier therefore Rex verucosa but unlike you the spedobulbes are bigger, each plant blooms at least 2 times a year. Unlike you me, they are grown the most of light in my greenhouse, I was the place to plain exterior sun

bloom is very pretty, I grow some Brassier therefore Rex verucosa but unlike you the spedobulbes are bigger, each plant blooms at least 2 times a year. Unlike you me, they are grown the most of light in my greenhouse, I was the place to plain exterior sun

Very nice Rex Raymond. Rex would be bigger than verrucosa due to the influence of gireoudiana.

My verrucosa has only ever flowered once a year. As it is currently sending some new growths at a different time of year than normal, it will be interesting to see if it results in it flowering twice a year.

David

Back