brachys and a pleasant surprise

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of agree with polyantha -- lowii was never one of my favorites. I've seen some pretty spectacular clones shown on this forum, though, so I've been looking for a really good one. I recently purchased one from Tom Kalina that I hope will be a really good one.

Man! I love that niveum and lowii!!!!!!! Drool!!!!!
Pete, are the lowii's originating from Sam Tsui? I've seen photos of his and they seemed green. I didn't like them. This yellow is spectacular!

yes im sure it will come out similar and is from the same batch. i thought only one plant was ever found? i may be mistaken. ive never heard of a lowii album, only the fma. aureum. maybe Dr. Braem, Olaf or Lance could weigh in.
and again, thats not my plant, it belongs to a friend of mine.

The history of those lowii, I have seen live 3 of those plants.

Au Yong got a lowii aureum from Baliem area about 20 years ago. He never sold divisions, until he had four single growth plants. Then Sian Lim bought one of those plants for Sam Tsui and got it shipped to him. I saw the original plant in bloom at Au Yong, and that seedling is a perfect copy. There is a picture of it in Phillip Cribb book, don't remember if it is paph ver 2 or most likely slipper orchids of Borneo.

Now, the 'Albino Beauty' picture is a very DIFFERENT lowii, a green and white one, so this one cannot, absolutely and definitely be the parent of this seedling ( and therefore of all the others). It is not as well the same type of colony (your friend's seedling is clearly the same type as Au Yong, from south Sarawak, the Albino Beauty is apparently more an Indonesian type ???).

One second lowii aureum/yellow has been seized during the Sian Lim story in England. I don't think it is around anymore. It was coming from Francis Gombek. I saw it live at Sian's father-in-law place, when he was working for a big company in Penang.

There was/is another mysterious plant, I have seen it live in bloom, and photos afterwards proving it bloomed SEVERAL times and was a big plant, I would say 10 growths according to the picture. It was the Kinabalu type of lowii, massive flowers, huge plants, few flowers per stem, absolutely horizontal, quite narrow petals. That one was white and green. I saw the plant, the photos in 2003 during a trip in Sabah, they did not want to divide/sell it, and the plant was obviously grown for years... I made a big offer to get a division, but no way.

In 2007, I asked them again, they did not remember anything about it, never had such a plant... Then they gave to me their photo album, and I pointed the photos. They told me 'Oh, that's a picture we took at Au Yong, we never had that plant'. It was not, and was really a different one. Incidentally, that's the same place who got first the volonteanum Sandowiae/albinistic. But indeed that huge clump existed, and was a different one. It never reappeared anywhere in the world as of today.

thanks for the clarification xavier. you are correct. the plant i showed as well as the one that i have, are from Sam, which are from SIan Lim through Baliem.

Man! I love that niveum and lowii!!!!!!! Drool!!!!!
Pete, are the lowii's originating from Sam Tsui? I've seen photos of his and they seemed green. I didn't like them. This yellow is spectacular!

john i crossed the niv alba with my best godefroyae alba. should be veryyy nice. i LOVE greyi alba..

I've only seen a couple of pics of aureum lowii, and they looked pretty rough (all recently collected or insitu I think). Even with the fuzzy photo, the form on yours looks excellent Pete.

And the depth of yellow is much better than what I'd expect from an alba.

I like it lots!!

Back