• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

BEST long fiber NZ sphagnum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Anyone have a favorite vendor for this?

I had some that was really nice, but no identifying marks where I bought it! May have been Orchids Ltd.

Length was about 12-18" on the longest fibers, awesome! But now I'm out and can't remember where I got it!

Then I just got some from Kelly's Korner.
Lengths about 5-6" :(

Resulting in a crappy potting job on one plant.

Where do you buy yours and how long are the longest strands?

I get mine from Roberts Flower supply. Been using a lot lately because of my basket system project.

orchidmix.com

I've never paid much attention to strand length, but the material is very clean with little foreign material (unlike Wisconsin or Chilean moss I've got in the past).

Thanks Rick,
Because I use it for the Japanese style of potting my Neos, the longer fibers work best. :)

I need to go out to the GH in a bit, so I'll measure some for you.

I didn't find any much over 12 inches. 8-12" seems to be the normal range of the handful I pulled out.

New World Orchids grades theirs by length of strands. It gets more expensive by the length. I've been using sphag from Robert's Flower Supply and it is clean, but not that long. 4-6 inches average.

Heather,
Orchids Ltd has the best sphagnum moss I got so far (about $25). I believe New World offers also long fiber moss, but I have not purchase from them.

Good luck
Augusto

Here's a photo of the good moss I was using yesterday.
That's a 2 3/4" pot so you can see most of the moss is about a foot long.

photofpw.jpg

I think it must have been the AAAAA stuff that both NWO and OL sell. Just can't remember when I bought it! Ah well…thanks for the help. I was hoping to order from some place less tempting. :)

OL and NWO both sell that good stuff. As for who currently has it in stock, I think OL does (I just ordered some yesterday or the day before). I don't know about the current status of NWO's supply. I see this stuff for sale sometimes on eBay, too, by seller bonsaibank.

Nice Neo :wink:

Hey Heather, I have some 150g and 500g "mini-bales" of NZ Sphag exported by Pacific Wide, the Orchiata folks. I have not opened and of these, but stuff I have purchased retail in the past was quite good.

~ a foot long just like the ones in your pic. The quality was as good as the one from OL, which I ordered before for moss mounds.

Here is the pic of my Neos after re-mounding. I am very picky as to how each mound looks. ;)

5608171615_359ee82669.jpg

Latest posts

Back