besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jorch

The dorsal got a bit of damage from Safers.. it's just a regular besseae, not from line-breeding (at least I don't think it is).. can't wait til my OZ besseae bloom and see the difference!

Question: Some of my phrags have pale dorsals.. am I doing anything wrong? like this besseae, the dorsal is apple green with a blush of orange.. Is it genetics that the dorsal is not as orange as the petals or is there anything I can do to "add color" to the dorsal?

DSC_0013Small.jpg

I'm with you Dot. Jorch is this the first time for you to bloom this plant? If not, did it do the green thing before?

"The dorsal got a bit of damage from Safers..
Question: Some of my phrags have pale dorsals.. am I doing anything wrong? like this besseae, the dorsal is apple green with a blush of orange.. Is it genetics that the dorsal is not as orange as the petals or is there anything I can do to "add color" to the dorsal? "

Quit using Safer's and grow them cool when buds are forming.

I left the plant outside with the nobile dend hybrids, and it gets 4 to 5 degrees celcius at night for the past little while.. and here's the second bloom

DSC_0028Small.jpg

The dorsal is still quite pale. Weird.. lol~ :rollhappy: I think I'll cut the bloom off and let the plant focus on putting out new growths. Hope next blooming will be better in terms of color :p

when I've sprayed orchids that had developing buds with mineral oil sprays I've seen a thing where the new buds stayed sort of small and green, some with phals, some with paphs/phrags so may be a spray reaction

I sure hope that's the case :) I think the second flower is an improvement over the first one. I like the wider petal and rounder pouch. :)

The second one is quite perky! I like the green in the dorsal, quite the festive phrag for this holiday season!

Back