besseae Pollination?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Orchid Maniac
Reaction score
I've had two blooms off my new besseae and I am wanting to try and pollinate it. I have a third bloom on the way and have studied the other two when they fell off. I know at this point the pollen is pretty well had it. First thing I did was remove the what?
DSC_0010.jpg

But I tried to find where it goes. Could someone help me find the point at which you insert the pollen?

DSC_0006.jpg

I tried to determine by looking at the back where the column attaches:

DSC_0008.jpg

But when I turn it over the point opposite at which the column connects is very hard to get at. With much tearing apart and manipulating I tore off the covering to the ...? I can't imagine trying to do this live.
DSC_0007.jpg

I searched but did not find any useful threads on besseae pollination. Do any of you know of any good tutorial sites?

The pollination is pretty simple. The pollen needs to adhere to the reverse of the staminode. Pretend you are an insect that fell into the pouch bowl and the only way out is through the back. The problem with besseae and some of its hybrids is that the pollen is quite dry and grainy, and the staminode is very slick. Some use spit or the sticky matter on a cattleya or oncidium flower to help the pollen stick better. Also, you will need to cut off the pouch to pollinate more easily.

Matt Gore put a great picture tutorial together for this site.

You'll have to mess with the search function to find it since I don't have the thread site memorized.

As Slippertalker mentioned, the stigmatic surface is the mushroom shaped knob on the reverse side of the staminodal shield.

Most people breed paphs by cutting off the pouch to access the stigma.

I usually just cut a little window on the back side of the pouch to access the stigma.

Thanks a lot you guys. I'll let you know how it comes out on my next blooming.
Rick - You don't remember his screen name do you?

Latest posts

Back