Another tray culture experiment

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richgarrison

Reaction score
@tomkalina has such great luck with this, so when I was repotting this besseae that was throwing two new stolons out if it's pot, I figured it was worth a try...
20200322_093417.jpg 20200322_094007.jpg 20200322_094021.jpg 20200322_094013.jpg

These mesh bottom trays are awesome for drainage. But also for using wires to pull the jumping growths back into the mix...

Thanx to Tom for the idea.

Stay healthy everyone!

(Yeah besseae!!! ? :). )

That's actually a net bottomed 4 inch square pot that we use as a compot for seedlings coming out of flask. The net bottom trays we use for growing the adult Phrag. besseaes are the 10" x 20" size. See photo for one of these. Not sure where we got these, but you might try Orchids, Ltd. Originally, they were made by the late Joe Kunisch of Bloomfield Orchids.

Attachments

• IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 22
I found a garden center tray and I have two orchids in
which I want to try the tray culture. The only problem
I see is drainage and keeping the medium in the tray.
The holes aren't very big, but I don't want the medium
all over the gh floor. Any suggestions appreciated. I use
a loose layer of coco fiber in my Phal. baskets and have
no idea if that might work with Phrags.

Speaking of tray culture, here's a photo of our Phrag. besseae fma flavum 'D'Oro' 4N growing in it's tray. The largest leaf on the left has a 20 inch leaf span. When we grew this in a 6 inch azalea pot, the leaf span never got more than 14 inches across. .

Attachments

• IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3102.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 27
When I decided to try the tray method, I wanted something shorter than the standard garden center tray. I found an 11x14x3 bonsai forest tray on eBay; worked great. I recently repotted my besseae to a large plastic bulb pan, which makes it easier to use a saucer underneath.

Latest posts

Back