Anacheilium cochleatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I can't keep up with these name changes :roll:
Epidendrum cochleatum, Encyclia cochleata , and the last time I looked it was
Prosthechea cochleata. Now it is Anacheilium cochleatum. What ever you call the "cockle shell " orchid is is collection worthy. Mine came as a gift from a member of my local orchid society. One of the members I met at the first meetng invited me to her home. She did not live that far from where I lived. Her and her husband are now friends and I can always rely on her to care for my plants when on vacation. Well, I digress. This plant was a gift from her when I cisited her home for the first time. Lovely fragrance, beautiful chid and I will always treasure it for sentimental reasons.

P9100049.jpg

P9100050.jpg

P9100051.jpg

for me, it will continue to be Encyclia cochleata, unique because of its very special shape and flowering all year round!!! Jean

They are so easy they make great confidence builders. Mine got so big I had to find it a new home :eek:

I saw Anacheilium used before I ever saw Prostheca, at least 15 years ago or so, perhaps longer. It was being used by a South American grower at the time. Like all taxonomic flip flops, the oldest valid publication should take precedence, but 'valid' is always up for debate.

Back