An unwelcome visitor...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
Really, I knew better. It was just that my Hungarian Roma tomato had borne hundreds of wonderful tomatoes all summer long, that prompted me to take a small cutting, put it in a glass of water, and stick it under my HID light.

A week later, I noticed something wasn't right with the buds on one of my ascocendas. A TOMATO WORM had taken a bite out of EVERY BUD on the ascocenda, except one! :mad:

I don't think I've ever enjoyed squishing a worm so much...

Don'cha know that Tomato Hornworms turn into lovely Sphinx moths, relatives of the moth that pollinates Angraecum sesquipedale? :poke:

Hahaha, you're absolutely right, Dot! Angraecum sesquipedale is near the top of my want list...

Ahhhh, the hornybutt tomato munchers!!!! Little monsters can devastate a tomato plant in two nights.

-Ernie

We inherited a couple of large pepper plants a couple of years back, and one night we saw one of these worms on the floor. We didn't know what it was at first, but we did some research & found out it was a hornworm. We put it on a pot with moist soil, it burrowed in & made it's cocoon. We kept the cocoon in the fridge over the winter & in the spring we were rewarded with a lovely moth. We took some pictures and let it go. It's really a pretty thing. Maybe your worm is a descendant of our moth?...

Latest posts

Back