An Example of Extreme Waste

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
My husband is a runner. Having been in quite a few races, marathons etc. he received a notice that he could receive a free pair of micro socks from a company that carries mainly running, camping and hiking gear. To our surprise and dismay, this is what arrives via UPS on our doorstep today. You'd think this company would be eco-friendly, but obviously not.

It's not good when your 5'6", 120 lb. wife could fit in the bag in which the "micro socks" are shipped in. He's sent off a letter to the company. Thanks for the socks. No thanks for the enormous packaging.

20110104-teimkfic8whys37rr4hk3bhm2c.jpg

20110104-m9as3tfwwn6pi6wn41yh31a9nh.jpg

That is amazing!

Another thing that bothers me is all this blister packaging that you can't get into without a utility knife and that wastes a lot of material besides.

That is amazing!

Another thing that bothers me is all this blister packaging that you can't get into without a utility knife and that wastes a lot of material besides.

That is driving me crazy. Opening some of these packages is becoming a major operation and for someone as clumsy as me, a safety hazard.

David

They probably had the bag lying around and they decided to ''recycle'' it! :rollhappy:

I hate wasteful packing too! (Thermo) Fisher Scientific and VWR are notorious for that. A tiny box of cover slips in a two cubic foot box with tons of filler.

Anyway, my wife wears Iniiji toes socks with her Vibram Five Finger Sprint shoes. She just likes the way they fit and feel.

My marathon runner brother swears by Thor-lo and I get him a pair or two every Christmas.

Interesting, Ernie. Hubby wears Vibrams too or barefoot runs. More so barefoot running than Vibrams. Unfortunately, he found out that his Vibrams are too tight with these socks. I think he looks like a strange Albino man with them on. I guess the most irritating thing is that these folks should KNOW better considering their product line. I hope the letter they receive gives them something to think about and perhaps change!

I cannot agree more...our world is doomed if this continues.

Also another environmentmental issue: why do people use things that don't decompose such as styrofoam peanuts, when scrap paper works just as well? And also the use of these packaging items when not necessary too! The extra padding makes us feel better?

When I was commuting for work I frequently saw big semis loaded high with lumber going West and similar ones going East and it seemed to me an incredible waste of fuel, money and time. I thought: why deliver lumber east and west at the same time since they obviously had enough where they came from?

Such a waste! Might be cost-effective for the shipper, but not good for the environment. And I truly hate those blister packs that are impossible to open without a utility knife. I worry that I'll slice my hand whenever I try to open them. They should be banned. And I always appreciate those companies that choose to use the packing peanuts that dissolve in water. I think they're made from cellulose or something. Non-toxic and safe for the environment. Or at least use shredded newspaper.

Maybe you could recycle it for another use?

I still generate solid waste and put it into trash bags.

At our house we reuse dog food, and other feed sacks for containing various solid waste products.

We've been doing a lot of tests on "biodegradable" products with landfill simulations. So far the results are very disappointing under "landfill" conditions as opposed to "mulch pile" conditions.

Latest posts

Back