A pale schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous. Self that flower if you do that kind of thing. Everyone note some of the characteristics of this flower. The color (andreettae?), the general shape of the staminode (fischeri?), the center ridge (seen in those flowers without a staminode) and the shape of the slipper (just about every name associated with schlimii).

Do you grow this warm or on the cooler side?

Best,

Gorgeous. Self that flower if you do that kind of thing. Everyone note some of the characteristics of this flower. The color (andreettae?), the general shape of the staminode (fischeri?), the center ridge (seen in those flowers without a staminode) and the shape of the slipper (just about every name associated with schlimii).

Do you grow this warm or on the cooler side?

Best,
Thank you. I got it as manzurii from Ecugenera. This is it seconnd blooming, first was the same last year. Climate is very hot compared with its habitat, winter is cold.I think it is just a simple schlimii because of its staminode. Manzurii has yellow staminode without reddish flush according to original description.

This is really interesting and I think it gives a good case that using a single flower to define a type is probably not the best way to do. Main reason I am not paying crazy prices for these new species is I don't really beleive they are all new. Maybe in a few centuries, if the forests are still standing, they may evolve into new ones.

Bought a flask of 'fisheri' from Chuck Acker. Hopefully they'll bloom soon. Can't wait to the the variety of flowers from this sib cross.

My first reaction to that last photo is that it's a very nice Pink Panther or similar hybrid. However, given the source and the fact that you mentioned it's a tiny plant, I assume it is correctly labeled. Very interesting outcome!

I won't pretend to be qualified to comment on the actual ID or taxonomy of "fischeri". However, my experience so far is that I've never encountered a fragrant fischeri where as schlimii is almost always fragrant. And it's a similar situation with their primary hybrids. Schlimii hybrids often have at least a faint rosey/sweet/floral scent, and pretty much no fischeri primary hybrids that I'm aware of, except perhaps those made with other fragrant species, seem to be fragrant -- though I'd actually love to be wrong about that if you know of any exceptions.

Of course, there is strong selection bias in cultivated plants, and fragrance/scent can be very subjective, so it's hard for me to know if it's actually relevant in terms of determining the classification.

Latest posts

Back