A few dendrobes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
The dry season in February signals the flowering period of many dend species:

Dend linguella. A local species that grows tall (3-4 foot) slender canes with an untidy habit. Grown this from a keiki from a friend a few years ago. I was just complaining about the lack of flowers when this popped out. lol. If you like similar-looking flowers on a much smaller, neater plant, dend hercoglossum is recommended.

Dend primulinum. The pale variety without the bright yellow blotch on the lips. Reliable bloomer, once a year. The flower buds develop very fast and very suddenly in hot dry weather, about 5 days from when they emerge from the nodes to full bloom. Light honey fragrance.

Dend anosmum. Known as the 'February orchid' among some local growers. Flowering season begins now and extends up to April or May, depending on variety. I absolutely love this species and its superb raspberry fragrance.

Skinny local variety:

The more popular var. superbum originally from the Philippines:

I don't think I've seen the first one.
I do like the local Den. anosmum.

Is superbum a variant form of this?
I thought it was an old name for Den. parishii?
Maybe I'm confused. Help!!

Must be nice to have the dends in flower : )

Really like the local anosmum -- you should self it!

Thanks. I can pass you keikis if you are interested. This variety keikis prolifically and does not need to lose all of the leaves before flowering.

Happypaphy, superbum is the larger-flowered version of anosmum from the Philippines. Anosmum is a very variable species due to its wide distribution, from Indochina (Vietnam) all the way to Indonesia. Parishii is a separate species with shorter bulbs, some say rhodopterygium is a synonym. The hybrid between anosmum and parishii is Nestor, which has intermediate characteristics.

I know parishii is small but did not know about the superbum and anomosum varieties other than different color forms.

Thanks.

Lots of little spikes are springing up on my Den. Nestor.
So excited!!! But scared of the smell. lol

Thanks. I can pass you keikis if you are interested. This variety keikis prolifically and does not need to lose all of the leaves before flowering.

Thanks Li, I'd take you up on that one day..

Here's a Dendrobium platycaulon from Borneo (one I got, but growing in my aunt's shadehouse..). I think it has really great form for this species : D

3c6f20e99de60a4b0afcd4dcfccdbab0.jpg

Latest posts

Back