a few days in the country

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just got back from a short vacation in the South African countryside. Laura and I stayed just outside the town of Franschhoek. This is what the Franschhoek valley looks like as seen from Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve.

franschhoek.jpg

This the view from half way up the mountain side:

viewfromthetop.jpg

You might just be able to see the small white car (a VW Polo) parked in the distance. This is a view to the left into the next valley and beyond.

theeswaterskloof.jpg

If the weather had been better one could see across to the next valley.

Some orchids growing on the mountainside:

Pterygodium platypetalum
pterygodium_platypetalum_mont_rochelle_ns.jpg

Disperis capensis
disperis_capensis_mont_rochelle_nsf.jpg

Schizodium species... Not sure just what species it is. It doesn't look like anything in any of the books.
schizodium_species_mont_rochelle_ns.jpg

schizodium_species_mont_rochelle_ns_fig2.jpg

schizodium_species_mont_rochelle_n_fig3.jpg

If I hadn't seen the plant I would have walked past it thinking it was just another species of dodder which has a near identical flower.

For those of you who like Proteas and Ericas:

pincushion.jpg

erica.jpg

Sorry, I have no idea what species these are.

This the tiny cottage we rented on the farm Paradise Stables.

tommies_kaia.jpg

It was quite tiny but very cosy. for bird lovers it would be a dream come true as a vast range of birds came and spent time with us, just an arms length away from the portch.

tt4n

Photos of interior of structure?
Thanx for sharing, looks like fun. I wish we could get some of those african species here.
BTW, I like Ericas! :p

Superlative photos Tyrone, thank you. The orchids of South Africa are some of the most unique anywhere - as are so many plants - and your photos show that wonderfully. That cottage is my dream home - let me live there please! No need to clean a big house and the perfect setting to meditate and read...ah...

Hello,

I have some shot of inside the cottage and will reformat them for later. Not much to see inside...

The D. capensis is a bit non-typical. Some photos of plants on Table Mountain can be seen at http://www.orchidspecies.com/dipcapensis.htm (also taken by me). I have had some success growing some Disperis (i.e. I haven't killed them in the last 11 months) but it isn't easy. They must get very little water in the dormant season. Too much and they rot. Too little and they wither and die. My Pterygodium catholicum has resurfaced this season. Again, they are only 11 months in cultivation so I can hardly regard this as a success... These plants are quite tricky to grow but I know some people do manage it. I hope that in the future I can see about sending out some seed to interested people.

If you ever plan on making a visit to Cape Town, South Africa, the peak orchid seasons are August/September, November/December and then February/March. On Table Mountain alone one can find as many as 10 species in flower in November/December.

Latest posts

Back