70 years of White breeding

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I do a comparison shot of two White Complex Paphs. To the right, good old Rosy Dawn, registered in 1935. And, to the left, the fine art of breeding done by OZ today; Thinking Reed x Ice Castle.

ptrxicrdnm4.jpg

The dorsal of the latter is 8 cm wide, petals are 6 cm long and 5 cm wide. The flower is a bit cupped, natural spread is a little over 10 cm.
Is that fairrieanum coming thru in the green veins? It's been crossed in 4 generations ago...

Enjoy, Carsten

Personal taste of course, but I'll take Rosy Dawn over any of the Phal wannabe Paphs any day.

It's a really interesting comparison. I have to say, the OZ version looks somewhat fake to me. I realize that's what they're going for but sometimes I think things are over bred. Then again, I'm not a fan of Complex Paphs or Phals!

I feel a little differently about multiflorals though, I admit it, although even they are getting to be that way too, even the roths are starting to look over-done...hrm...

Perfect Paphs!!!!!!

Talk about being disillusioned!!
Spent the past 50 years looking for perfection and you lot still want Rosy Dawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:
I am joking(I think!!!!):poke:
ALL Paphs are lovely, just some are lovlier than others.
Always had a soft spot for Dusty Miller "Mary" AM/RHS GMM
( then I should as is was named after my wife!!!)
Someone asked me what my favourite paph is.
EASY!!!!!
The one thats in flower today!!!!!!:rollhappy:
New season just starting!! Whoopee!!
More new seedlings to see (and throw away????)
Paul

I agree with a lot of you, the complex hybrids don't even look like paphs anymore, and I don't think that's a good thing. It will be interesting to see what course slipper breeding takes over the coming years... sigh

Complexes have their place and can be very pretty, but considering that we all grow slippers here, probably we didn't pick the genera for their uniform cookie-cutter shape :p I like the exotic, natural sort of beauty that species and primaries/close to primaries have.

I am not a big Bulldog lover to begin with and I am another one that is not a lover for the flat round look in complexes. I have 2 Rosey Dawns in my collection though.

Complexes have their place and can be very pretty, but considering that we all grow slippers here, probably we didn't pick the genera for their uniform cookie-cutter shape :p I like the exotic, natural sort of beauty that species and primaries/close to primaries have.

I like strange beauty too.
I read somewhere that photographer Francesco Scavullo who photographed Diana Vreeland (whom a lot of peoples would consider not beautiful at all) said that she is Allure personified.

Shapely Paphs!!!!!!!!!

Years ago "round" paphs were "rare" so like all hybridising it was a challenge to try to obtain something that was not obtainable. Also breeding has done a lot to give longer lasting flowers.
This goes for several genera. Especially the main ones in commercial production.
By selection we have obtained long stems, bigger flowers and more colour variation.
The cut flower paph market in Europe is amazing. Whilst the Maudiae types are still important, most types being used are complex, 'tho shape is not as important. Even Rosy Dawn is cut for weddings and funerals.
Most species are not suitable 'tho lawrenceanum and callosum are the exception.
I think the point to bear in mind is that there are several facets to the paph world. What collectors and hobbyists want really does not influence the commercial pot plant and cut flower industry.
I might even be so bold as to say that the two worlds hardly ever meet!!!
I am sure that some of you will come back with comments on all this.
I would like to add as a final remark is that I beleive we at Ratcliffes are an exception in so far as we produce a lot of commercial material but are very involved in societies and hobbyists hence our love of species etc
Paul

Paul makes an excellent point in regards to the commercial trade, it's easy for us hobbyists to forget there's another side of the world! Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so if you like it - go for it, it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks! ..........
unless you present it for judging!

I find that after growing paphs for 30 years that the complex hybrids are much more intriging than I originally considered them to be. Considering that many of these crosses have progeny that is pretty miserable, the keepers are certainly of high value. The current green and white hybridizing lines have certainly improved over the last 15 years or so. A high quality flower from the lastest breeding is an amazing development and the hybridizers are showing their talents.
I, for one, am frankly bored with the standard Maudiae types and multifloral flowers. They have pretty much leveled out in quality and without some new amazing species it will take some talented breeders to go to the next level.

I would like to add as a final remark is that I beleive we at Ratcliffes are an exception in so far as we produce a lot of commercial material but are very involved in societies and hobbyists hence our love of species etc
Paul
... and that's why we love your plants, Paul!

I find that after growing paphs for 30 years that the complex hybrids are much more intriging than I originally considered them to be. Considering that many of these crosses have progeny that is pretty miserable, the keepers are certainly of high value. The current green and white hybridizing lines have certainly improved over the last 15 years or so. A high quality flower from the lastest breeding is an amazing development and the hybridizers are showing their talents.
I, for one, am frankly bored with the standard Maudiae types and multifloral flowers. They have pretty much leveled out in quality and without some new amazing species it will take some talented breeders to go to the next level.

I agree with this to a certain extent. Complexes are actually very visually pleasing to me. There are so many aspects of the flower that go into the quality. NO two look alike really and it is much rarer to get a nice one than with species. They also do not usually produce much seed especially whites.

Also unfair to use the two as an example to compare. I think the older is a nicer example of that time period than the modern is of modern complex breeding.

Latest posts

Back