2 Bulbos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first is really interesting and the second is long indeed!! :clap:

Bulb. mandibulare is a very interesting species, quite recently rediscovered. I have seen many in Sabah, they grow in the same forest as the blue lipped den. cinnabarinum and cleisoscentron merrillianum...

Bulb. mandibulare is a very interesting species, quite recently rediscovered. I have seen many in Sabah, they grow in the same forest as the blue lipped den. cinnabarinum and cleisoscentron merrillianum...

They are endemic to Sabah, but the original description appears to be dated. 1882.

Jo Levey in Memphis TN has a good sized awarded specimen (don't know when it was awarded or how long she's had it). This plant came to me from Howard Gunn's collection (after going through the hands of two different society members). I don't know how long Howard has had this species either.

They are endemic to Sabah, but the original description appears to be dated. 1882.

Jo Levey in Memphis TN has a good sized awarded specimen (don't know when it was awarded or how long she's had it). This plant came to me from Howard Gunn's collection (after going through the hands of two different society members). I don't know how long Howard has had this species either.

That's why it is such a good one... Jo Levy had a lot mysterious species in collection that no one else had, including a multigrowth paph wentworthianum.

How she could get such plants remains a mystery... Even the mandibulare, if it is an old plant, no one had that species commercially until recently.

if she went collecting pre-cites or knew someone who did that, they often would have unusual things. jim rice used to collect alot pre-cites, and he had some very interesting things, even a bunch from india. some of his nicest plants were from the collections of the indigenous people who he used to go orchid hunting with, and when they passed away or had to give up their collections mr. rice would get them. many of his paphs have been awarded, and the trichopilia tortilis alba he had which I think is the only one around, I believe joined his collection that way. also if you knew someone at a botanical garden, it's possible that a few slid their friends pieces of interesting plants

Back