1% for Orchid Conservation?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like Slippertalk to participate in the OCC's 1% for Orchid Conservation?

• Yes

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • It depends upon the recipient chosen.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why join 1%FOC?

To respond to a few objections raised about joining 1% FOC:

I can understand hassle. I often ask myself what am I doing trying to save orchids in the wild and orchid habitat? Most habitat, I will never see. Asking people and organizations for support and answering questions, the amount of time spent trying to raise money for orchid conservation, I ask is it all worth the hassle?
I am sure the owners and moderators of this forum ask themselves similar questions from time to time. Moderating disputes, reading all message, spending there time to make this forum successful. They aren't getting rich. So is less than $50 and more like $5.00 worth the hassle? Probably not from a pure monetary standpoint. There are intangible benefits.

But participating in orchid conservation does bring up discussion, education about conservation, and support and visibility for orchid conservation. All success start off with small steps. Neither me, the OCC, or the people who run this forum do this for the money. But I do appreciate the support no matter how small. It matters.

As far as remembering to donate, I send out reminders. The poll seems very effective, easy, and not a hassle for determining where a donation should go. The fact that the donation is only $5.00 shouldn't get to many people upset about where the donation goes. I do understand that there are people who are against conservation. People can come up with many reasons not to do something, often vague reasons. They do get a vote and the right to voice their opinion. I do believe conservation is important for not only orchids but our livability on this planet

Other benefits, you will get another link, publicity for the forum, and maybe more people participating.

Your deliberation and donation may influence other people and organizations to donate to the same cause.

I've abstained from voting, I consider Orchid conservation to be a good thing. But as I've never participated in an auction or anything else regarding the funding of this forum I don't consider it to be apropiat to give my opinion on how the forum's funds should be spend.

Back