Paph liltii (primulinum var liltii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
This one came to me in a trade tagged Paph liltii. (primulinum var liltii) I could not find listing of liltii as a species or a var of primulinum. It looks to me to be primulinum var purpurascens

P6110022.jpg

Cute little flower. I got mine from Green Acres a couple of years ago, and did some research on the name. It is primulinum, and most sources say it is the same as purpurescens. There are a few hold-outs for liltii. As long as there is no definitive answer, I'm keeping the name liltii.

"liltii" is a name Ray Rands came up with for coloratum primulinum's that had what he considered an "orangey" pouch. I have one that I got long ago from Rands. It was never 12" across...always much less. It no longer feels like blooming for me....stays alive, but doesn't do much. It was the parent of the Henrietta Fujiwara I posted a few weeks back.....Eric

I guess this is the part that I found interesting
"Comments: Paphiopedilum liltii is a part of the intergraded Paphiopedilum primulinum complex from the north end of the island of Sumatra. It is considered synonymous with P. primulinum v. purpurascens, though the plant and flowers are significantly smaller."

"liltii" is a name Ray Rands came up with for coloratum primulinum's that had what he considered an "orangey" pouch. I have one that I got long ago from Rands. It was never 12" across...always much less. It no longer feels like blooming for me....stays alive, but doesn't do much. It was the parent of the Henrietta Fujiwara I posted a few weeks back.....Eric

Eric is exactly right. This was Rays way of selling more plants! Creating forms of varities of species. Long live Ray Rands!

prim. var. purpurescens is not often seen. Leaves have no color under and broader similar to smaller moquettianum leaves shape. Inflorescense only stretches about 4 to 6 inches before produces first flower. Flower is much larger w/ a solfter texture than littii. Found in different area. purpurascens only produces under 10 flowers; where littii is a much more vigorous grower w/ 20+. 1st bloom seedling littii tipycally produces 18 blooms, 3 yrs from flask. purpurescens' dorsal does not have ridges & ruffles as in littii; its' staminole is pale green w/ not other color; and its pouch's distal 2/3 form an oval w/ pale pink [not darker dots], where in littii is a V-shape. A truly difficult plant to keep.

A friend passed on this info to me

Koopowitz in Tropical Slipper Orchids (Timber Press , 2008) states that:

quote: When colored forms posssing anthocyanins were discovered , they were called Paph. primulinum var.purpurascens . This variety had greenish flowers with a distinct purple wash over the base color. Later on another type was brought into cultivation. This one had a bronze or coppery flush . Ray Rands sold plants as Paph. primulinum var. "liltii" . The varietal name commemorated one of his dogs. The form never been described and most people assume that is merely var. purpurascens , but the coloring is distinctly different. ( page 165)

Correction:
littii grow like WEEDS. Killed all 3 prim.var.purpurescens purchased in 94, 96, & 98 from 3 different sources (were in their variuos declined-stages, couldn't save them). Don't know if anyone still have it in coultivation today? Would love to have another change at it (NOT to kill, but uncover their secrets). The new Xs of moquettianum X littii sold as Pinochio & Avalon Mist (Pinochio X littii from OZ) are producing 15 > 19 blooms on the first bloom seedling and still going on leggy (3in in between bloom), 3ft or so long spike! many second grows are spiking.

Back