Too Tired of Messing With It

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This is how they started March 2012

I can't find the thread but in August 2013 the low K (low everything) feeders were only slightly ahead.

But as of July 2014 the difference is more obvious. Group on the left my old feeding regime of weekly feedings of 1/2 tsp/gal MSU using only RO water for fert makeup and in between irrigation. Plants on the right get whatever the rest of the GH gets. For the last year about daily feedings of enhanced K lite (boosted with a Mg/PO4/SO4 solution) at 10ppm N max. (conductivity <100 uS/cm)

Here's another comparison of the biggest potted low K fed versus a couple I put in baskets just before starting the split feeding trial.

The two in baskets are big enough to bloom. They've also accelerated since hanging them up in brighter locations earlier this spring.

Time and space demands made me too tired to keep up the project. I was also feeling sorry for the MSU plants that seemed to be having a lot of problems staying in the pots and looking a bit haggard.

The plants on the right are fed a balanced fertilizer? on the left low k, all other variations are thr same?

Where did you get them and how much did you pay for them? You nursed them back to health :)

The plants on the right are fed a balanced fertilizer? on the left low k, all other variations are thr same?

No, the plants on the right are getting the enhanced low K (K lite + extra Mg/PO4/SO4). The plants on the left are getting the old MSU regime I used for years.

But same size pots, same potting mix, sitting next to each other on the bench.

Huh, big difference, the last few months alot of people have been talking about cutting back potsssium in fertilizers, they take it up excessively and causes the cell break down in leaves right? Inhibits the other good stuff from beiing absorbed?

In the last picture with the baskets....
Are all 4 fed low K and the size difference attributed to being in the baskets??

Yes for feeding regime.
The 2 in pots are the two largest of the 5 from the feeding trial.

The 2 that went into baskets were already growing faster than the plants in the feeding trial, so can't attribute the difference strictly due to basket vs pot. But they never slowed down, and possibly could be claimed I was able to increase growth potential by flooding more light/warmth and water to them. While I still was trying to be careful not to turn the pot substrates to mush.

Huh, big difference, the last few months alot of people have been talking about cutting back potsssium in fertilizers, they take it up excessively and causes the cell break down in leaves right? Inhibits the other good stuff from beiing absorbed?

That was the theory I proposed in 2011 that ultimately came up with Klite. Check out this link from May 2011

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20716

Yes for feeding regime.
The 2 in pots are the two largest of the 5 from the feeding trial.

The 2 that went into baskets were already growing faster than the plants in the feeding trial, so can't attribute the difference strictly due to basket vs pot. But they never slowed down, and possibly could be claimed I was able to increase growth potential by flooding more light/warmth and water to them. While I still was trying to be careful not to turn the pot substrates to mush.

Now will you put the other two into baskets?
Would be interesting to see if they catch up to the bigger ones. Then you can attribute it to the baskets.

The faster growth could also be genetic.

Now will you put the other two into baskets?
Would be interesting to see if they catch up to the bigger ones. Then you can attribute it to the baskets.

Probably not unless I find more GH space, and a reason to keep this many lowii.

I know the basket system works, but I'm also curious how much easier potted systems can get with reduced feed rates. Based on these results with matched lowii, growing potted is more resilient with low K and frequent low N applications than the old "weakly weekly" regime I used to follow.

Potted plants the fertilizer soaks in the media, in baskets it runs off, I have to agree with you about baskets, in native habitat they transpire and absorb light in small amounts but enough to make a difference I use clear pots just the light penetration makes big difference

How often do you water? Plants in baskets

Daily is certainly possible. I have a lot of mounted plants that are definitely daily sprayed. The baskets get at least a daily spritz, and a heavy water 3 or more times a week. Pots generally less than that. Anything under a hanging plant gets at least something daily.

It's definitely like driving a car. Brakes/gas based on conditions.

Certainly not impossible factor, but consider these all came from a single compot of a selfing. Also the two in baskets were usually in different places in the GH than the others (so also potentially brighter/warmer or whatever).

I was checking records and the pollination was in 4/2009, and they came out of flask around November 2010.

They were all pretty abused until I started my own low K adaptation in May 2011. I may have found a couple of resilient high K adapted in the group that ultimately went into the baskets, but given I was looking at roughly 50 seedlings at the time, I don't recall anything doing orders of magnitude better than the others. I don't recall when I put these two into baskets, and it could have been before I started playing with K.

Klite didn't come out till around December/January 2011. But I had already started playing with baskets a full year before in December 2010.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18566

Back