Phrag. Hanne Popow flavum 'White'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaborne

Reaction score
As the clonal name states, this one turned out white. During warm temperatures, sometimes it has a few faint pink lines on the pouch.
(besseae flavum x schlimii)

Very nice! Do you know the breeding?

Hi Tom. The parentage is (besseae flavum 'Windy Hill' x schlimii 'Pink Ice' JC/AOS.)

Eric, This is the 'White' Hanne Popow stud plant that Earl Bailey used in a number of his crosses if you happen to have any of those. He purchased it from Windy Hill and he and Marilyn were very excited when it turned out white! The flower is smaller, more consistent with being a Hanne Popow than a St. Ouen. Also the form is more consistent with the Hanne Popows and not as flat, and improved upon as the St. Ouens are with the extra besseae genes.

Yay besseae hybrids! There has never been a white Hanne Popow. Are you sure it's not a St. Ouen?

I remember have seen a picture of a pure white Hanne Popow in the Koopowitz book...but i migh be wrong..

I would like to see this plant crossed for example x pearcei or czerwiakowianum!!

I remember have seen a picture of a pure white Hanne Popow in the Koopowitz book...but i migh be wrong..

I would like to see this plant crossed for example x pearcei or czerwiakowianum!!
I'd very much like to see this crossed with pearcei or czerwiakowianum!

Yay besseae hybrids! There has never been a white Hanne Popow. Are you sure it's not a St. Ouen?

Eric, I seem to remember a number of years ago, seeing a photo of Terry Root (Orchid Zone), with a pure white Hanne Popow. He was deliberately selectively breeding to make a pure white one and he succeeded. 'Can't remember the details though.

That's an interesting idea and I'm guessing it would look similar to my Phrag. Silver Eagle 'Pink Frost' that I've posted here previously. Except maybe more white in color. The plant is not as vigorous as I'd like it to be this year to set a pod on it though.

Latest posts

Back