Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimorph

Reaction score
At lenght in bloom and one of my favorite!

Phrag schlimii

20111121-011840-752.jpg

20111121-011828-430.jpg

20111121-011853-433.jpg

20111121-011905-672.jpg

20111121-011924-668.jpg

Trimorph

Amazing!!!! I really love this species!!! In my wish list for sure... :drool:

Just a question to those of you growing Ph. schlimii; what is the potting medium like? is it like Ph. caudatum type : free draining, or more like Ph. bessae type (sphagnum, wet type).

That is a lovely schlimii!
I grow all my paphs and phrags in Aussie Gold for paphs and phrags. It is a neutral inorganic mix and my water has a pH of 6.2. Temps go from 15°C at night to 27°c during the day.

Thanks for your compliments.

This one is a really good growing schlimii!
I got it with two mature grows two years before. At first I pottet the plant in fresh sphagnum and it doubles the grows quickly.
This spring I pottet it in a mixture of coconutfibre, a pinebark mixture with crushed-shell, perlite and crushed expended-clay, in which I coultivate the most of my Phrags and its doing fine.

I think it should be kept wet all the time, and I only use rainwater. Once i forgot the plant, the potting material dries and within the next days the plant got brown leaf tips (you can still see on the picture). It does nothing to the plant, but shows how fast the plant reacts on aridity.

This is the plant:
20111122-002105-954.jpg

But I also have a second one, i got as a devision with bad roots because of the wrong potting material (pure pinebark with seramis and perlite). It was growing backwards to joungplant size before I could catch it and cooker it up. Now it is changing between growth and stagnation and is still verry touchy.

Best regards,
Trimorph

Thanks for your compliments.

This spring I pottet it in a mixture of coconutfibre, a pinebark mixture with crushed-shell, perlite and crushed expended-clay, in which I coultivate the most of my Phrags and its doing fine.

I think it should be kept wet all the time, and I only use rainwater. Once i forgot the plant, the potting material dries and within the next days the plant got brown leaf tips (you can still see on the picture). It does nothing to the plant, but shows how fast the plant reacts on aridity.

But I also have a second one, i got as a devision with bad roots because of the wrong potting material (pure pinebark with seramis and perlite). It was growing backwards to joungplant size before I could catch it and cooker it up. Now it is changing between growth and stagnation and is still verry touchy.

Best regards,
Trimorph

Thanks, that is a very nice plant indeed!!!!

The description of your second one is +/- what happened to mine :eek: !!! Jean

Back