Paph kolopakingii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but my grandparents use to throw all their old coffee grounds in the composter. It must work.

BTW, that's a 4 foot wet wall so it's taller then it is wider

Nice kolo! "The pleasing odor is half the point" though. :) (Quote from O' Brother Where Art Thou regarding hair treatment)

I didn't know coffee still came in those metal cans. I was in the garage the other day and would've loved to have a coffee can (or twelve) for some odds and ends. My dad's garage is filled with them of all sizes, and he can tell you the details of every nail, nut, and bolt in each without opening them. :)

Dang Ernie you're talking about my old man! Are you sure we're not related?:poke:
Question for you Ernie. How does this kolo stack up to the FCC clone of Acker? I realize I would have to grow it on to get to the 9 sometimes 10 flowers on a stake! Flower quality-wise?

PS My topperi is in low bud/stake-ing now! Much small plant then this one.

Dang Ernie you're talking about my old man! Are you sure we're not related?:poke:
Question for you Ernie. How does this kolo stack up to the FCC clone of Acker? I realize I would have to grow it on to get to the 9 sometimes 10 flowers on a stake! Flower quality-wise?

:)

'Riopelle' is a little less green than yours IMO. But the flowers are pretty similar overall. Chuck had 9-11 flowers per spike at the time we did the cultural award. The clone already had the FCC when we saw it. I believe all of the mature growths were in bloom too with no previously bloomed growths. (could be wrong there, but I sorta recall that being a positive thing from our discussions) It was crazy, the young, new starts were bigger than most mature single growth paphs.

Next question Ernie. Do you have stats available when 'Riopelle' recieved it's FCC? Flower count, measurments?

Chuck's 2006 CCE info...
Twenty-eight flowers and one bud on three extremely strong, upright inflorescences up to 73 cm on a five-growth
plant 79 cm by 72 cm, grown in a 25-cm pot; leaves to 10 cm by 45 cm; sepals white, veined maroon; petals
spiraled, tawny yellow, lined maroon; pouch creamy yellow, tessellated maroon; substance firm; texture matte.
NSh 16.1
NSv1 2.2
dorsal w 4.0
dorsal l 6.9
petal w 1.2
petal l 11.9
synsepal w 4.0
synespal l 6.9
pouch w 1.6
pouch l 5.6

FCC 1996 info...
Nineteen flowers and 12 buds on three inflorescences; sepals white veined maroon, slightly reflexed; petals
spiraled, tawny yellow, lined maroon; pouch creamy yellow tessellated with maroon; superbly grown plant, eight
growths in a 30.5 cm pot; largest leaf 11 cm wide and 26 cm long; largest inflorescence 91 cm; flower size and
count exceed prior awards.
(same order as above...)

info from AQ+ v 4.1

Got it. Thanks again for the info. If I want a shot at an FCC I'll have to wait a few more years, say less then 10!:rollhappy:

All open

p1060015.jpg

WOW. That is stunning Rick. I love it.

I have a seedling of kolopakingii 'Jeanie' x 'Andy' which is growing really nicely. It originally comes from Sam Tsui. It is getting large but maybe still another 2 or so years off flowering. It has the widest leaves of any Paph I own. Hope it looks as half as nice as yours.

David

Thanks David. Where have you been? vacation?

Yes, just got back from vacation. Had a few weeks in central Australia -Uluru, Kings Canyon, MacDonell Ranges, Alice Springs, Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges etc. It takes 4 days driving just to get there from my place. It is a big country. A good time had by all.

David

Yes, just got back from vacation. Had a few weeks in central Australia -Uluru, Kings Canyon, MacDonell Ranges, Alice Springs, Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges etc. It takes 4 days driving just to get there from my place. It is a big country. A good time had by all.

David

David, You know that we are waiting for a very cool picture show !!!! :) Jean

Latest posts

Back