Rhyncolaelia digbyana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

Hi!

This is a first-bloom seedling of Rhyncolaelia digbyana 'Laura' AM/AOS x 'Connor'. I purchased it a few years ago from Carter & Holmes. The NS is about 4-1/2 inches. Wish it were larger. Love the frilly lip! It's currently in a four-inch clay pot. I grow it near the ceiling in my greenhouse in the sunniest location possible. It gets watered once per week, twice in the Summer. I give it Osmocote fertilizer maybe once per year.

IMG_2415a.jpg

IMG_2414a.jpg

IMG_2417a.jpg

I brought it into work to display at the front desk. It has caused a sensation, along with several requests for me to give it away to admiring fans. I guess I'll be placing an order for more seedlings somewhere.

Best Regards,
Nik von Ruden

Oh, wow, I don't think I've ever seen a fuzzy orchid before! That is very cool! Does it have a fragrance?

Try turning out the lights, or maybe put in in a closet. I took a brassavola in to my OS meeting to the show and tell table, and during the presentation (when the lights were out), it started wafting its lovely scent all through the room!

:clap::clap::drool::drool::smitten::smitten:
My fav in the catt family!

I always wondered if anyone ever crossed this with Epidendrum ilense.
It seems it would reduce size of the plant, might increase flower count, and keep all the fringe on the lip....now if we could only add some color...

super frilly!!
Took the words right out of my mouth!

It seems it would reduce size of the plant, might increase flower count, and keep all the fringe on the lip....now if we could only add some color...
I've wondered that, also. But ilense is so small!

What a wonderful display! I am soooo jealous!!! With patience I will enjoy the same reward that you have so generously shared with us.
I purchased a 3" potted Rhyncolaelia digbyana 'Cerro Punta' AM/HOS x B. digbyana 'Fiddler's Green' from Peter Lin of Diamond Orchids in S. Cal. and it needs repotting. My question is what medium do you use?...... and as far as Osmocote is concerned, what numbers do you use?... and how much per orchid? I use the 14-14-14 in my outdoor containers ...no clue you could use it with orchids!
Your Rhyncolaelia looks so healthy!
Grand job!
Jim
:clap:
:drool:

My question is what medium do you use?...... and as far as Osmocote is concerned, what numbers do you use?... and how much per orchid? I use the 14-14-14 in my outdoor containers ...no clue you could use it with orchids!
The plant is growing in medium fir bark with either broken shards of clay pot or possibly foam packaging peanuts in the bottom. I am using the 19-6-12 formula for Osmocote currently, although I might have used a different formulation in the past. I use about a teaspoon of fertilizer per pot. It gets full sun year round and hangs close to the ceiling in the greenhouse. Good luck with yours.

Such an enabler - I have both.......
now they just need to bloom! :eek:

Rose,

Is your Epi. ilense in bloom? I could send you pollen from my plant if you like. I don't plan on using it otherwise.

Best Regards,
Nik

Back