Flower stem turning brown

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

One of my paphs has two buds on it currently. One of the flower sterms is turning brown halfway between the flower and the plant. It's a section of about 4 cm which is changing from green to brown and the surface of the affected area looks a bit dried. :sob:

The plant recently joined my collection so maybe something happened during transport and that specific stem also got a nice bump when someone was moving a bucket through the house.

Anything I can do or just pray to the gods that the damage isn't critical and the flower is wasted? Luckily there is another bud on this plant but I'd rather have it with two flowers.

Should I support the stem with a stick or something?

My guess is that, unfortunately, when a stem starts drying in the middle, it will continue to deteriorate. Still, you can stake it and try to keep the stem straight.

Do as Dot says. Most likely the flower will desicate as well from the lack of water getting to it. A good wack on a stiff flower stem as you pass by can and will give you this. Trust me, I've done it before.:mad:

That doesn't sound good from the description. Usually some other types of orchids can recover from such a thing, but Paphs and Phrags are a bit more delicate.

I've taken a piece of stiff gardening wire and set it up so that it supports the stem a couple of cm's below the bud.

Here's a picture of the affected area:

stem.jpg

And here's the bud that's on the affected stem:

stem2.jpg

I hope it won't fall of. :(

...If I'm not mistaken there is still discussion if it's a var. of hirsutissimum or a species on it's own.

yup. depends if you're a lumper or a splitter

sorry but although i hope the inflorescence will be fine, i don't think it will be....

Thanks for the input so far.

I'll update you when something changes.

To bloom or not to bloom, that's the question.

No update pictures but the bud of the affected stem is still retaining it's colour and even increased in size a bit.

I'm still in doubt if it will survice yes or no.

On the other hand there is still another healty spike on this plant. :)

Allthough the flower has opened up quite a bit over the last few weeks it's having problems with the last bit. Here are a few pictures of how it looks now.

IMG_3085kleinb.jpg

IMG_3088kleinb.jpg

I'll give it a week or two and if it hasn't opened up by then I'm going to give it the snip-snip treatment.

On the other hand the other flower developed very well and is now open.

Allthough the flower has opened up quite a bit over the last few weeks it's having problems with the last bit. Here are a few pictures of how it looks now.

IMG_3085kleinb.jpg

IMG_3088kleinb.jpg

I'll give it a week or two and if it hasn't opened up by then I'm going to give it the snip-snip treatment.

On the other hand the other flower developed very well and is now open.

Good idea.

Ramon:)

Latest posts

Back