Vanda tricolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I think this is the suavis variety. Smelled absolutely awesome when I walked into the GH this morning. I think the colors are a little nicer this year.

very nice! the fragrance is wonderful for these; is this species definitely vanda tricolor and tricolor var. suavis? i've seen it written both ways (including vanda suavis and suavis var. tricolor) and I have some seedlings from flask that they had written vanda suavis x self and I think that they are the species that has more colors (so confusing) than the other

Lovely! I used to have a huge one growing in a round basket about 24 inches wide with 5 growths 3 feet tall. I had to mostly give it away in parts to make space in my greenhouse.

:smitten::smitten::smitten: :clap::clap:
OK so how long do I have to wait til mine is considered blooming size?

:smitten::smitten::smitten: :clap::clap:
OK so how long do I have to wait til mine is considered blooming size?

I got this as a BIG kieki off of a REALLY big plant, maybe a foot or so long at the time, excluding roots. The whole thing sits in an open basket with just a couple chunks of lava rook to hang onto. It bloomed the following year I got it.

Now I guess the main stalk is a couple of feet long, with 3 keikis on it, and the roots hand down about 3 ft below the basket. It's still about 1/4 of the size of the original mother plant.

Here is a pic of my plant during my gh-cleaning last spring! Today its top is +/- 50 cm away from my gh roof, and its roots are going down (through the table holes) to the floor of the gh, where of course it is very humid: it happens from time to time that I walk on one of those when not paying attention :):)!!! Jean

Rick, wonderful flowers...! I like the colour pattern!

Jean, this one is so tiny...:poke: heheeheh!! gorgeous specimen plant..!

So, now what are you going to do with it?

I have this plant since 9 years now, never repotted it; it has 3 growths as well as some younger ones! One solution would be to take it down from this table and install it on one lower support; this would give us some more years without disturbing the plant. I am not good at all in repotting large vandas :eek:!! Jean

I have this plant since 9 years now, never repotted it; it has 3 growths as well as some younger ones! One solution would be to take it down from this table and install it on one lower support; this would give us some more years without disturbing the plant. I am not good at all in repotting large vandas :eek:!! Jean

I didn't know you ever needed to re pot a Vanda:poke::poke: I saw an article in Orchids that showed a way of adding support with slat basket type vanda mounts, but just stacking new slats on top of old ones as the vanda climbs and sends out new roots. You end up with a big tower slat basket with roots poking out in all directions. Almost like making your own vanda tree.:wink:

I didn't know you ever needed to re pot a Vanda:poke::poke: I saw an article in Orchids that showed a way of adding support with slat basket type vanda mounts, but just stacking new slats on top of old ones as the vanda climbs and sends out new roots. You end up with a big tower slat basket with roots poking out in all directions. Almost like making your own vanda tree.:wink:

Ah, HA. :clap: Thank you for sharing this trick. I can use it for my LARGE Angraecum. :D

Latest posts

Back