Paph tonsum & druryi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Two Paph tonsum's posted on the one night (and in different hemispheres). That is a rare event. The size of the flower in this species is way bigger than I would have imagined. The pouch is huge.

I have also thrown in a couple of photos of Paph druryi. The spike length was disappointingly short this year for some reason.

David

Paph tonsum

tonsum20102com.jpg

tonsum2010com.jpg

Paph druryi

druryi2010com2.jpg

druryi2010com.jpg

Awesome blooms!! :drool::drool:
David, your tonsum is slightly darker than Jean's !
I wouldn't be disappointed with the short stem of your druriy - a short stem is better than no bloom!

Hi very cool David!!!! I like the brainy pouch and the strict veining of the dorsal on your tonsum!!! (Will try to post a pic of my plant)
And of course, as Rudolf stated: a good druryi is one that has a bloom :) !!!! Jean

The tonsum is very nice! I really like the pouch markings. They add a lot of interest to this clone. The overall flower is very "chunky", which is different for a tonsum; yet, IMO, there is no question that this is a tonsum....it's just special!

The druryi is very handsome and I like the shorter spike. Paph. druryi does not produce lots of flowers all at once, like some species; so, just one or two flowers atop tall stems seem a bit disconnected from the plant. This short spike is nice in that it "joins" the foliage with the flower for a single, pleasing presentation.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this post; just after looking at Jean's tonsum was "Wow, two of the same species....from different hemisphere's. That's unexpected."

Excellent Paph's again

Hi David,
:clap: very nice tonsum
but great Paph. druryii are you going to self that one ?
it's worthwhile to be done ,still rare in cultivation, there's
never enough of them
thanx4sharing with us
cliokchi:)

Two Paph tonsum's posted on the one night (and in different hemispheres). That is a rare event. The size of the flower in this species is way bigger than I would have imagined. The pouch is huge.

I have also thrown in a couple of photos of Paph druryi. The spike length was disappointingly short this year for some reason.

David

Paph tonsum

tonsum20102com.jpg

tonsum2010com.jpg

Paph druryi

druryi2010com2.jpg

druryi2010com.jpg

wow, very nice both of them... Paph druryi is just fantastic...

funny note: I read "Paph tonsum x druryi", then I was looking at the first and second photo and wondering where the influence of druryi on this cross was hidden... was about to post a comment on that, when I realized there were two other photos (of druryi) below.... :D

Hi David,
:clap: very nice tonsum
but great Paph. druryii are you going to self that one ?
it's worthwhile to be done ,still rare in cultivation, there's
never enough of them
thanx4sharing with us
cliokchi:)

OK. I'll give it a go. They are even rarer in Australia. This isn't a bad clone. Unlike apparently most clones of this species, it is very easy to flower. It has flowered every year for me and I suspect always will from now on. It is a little susceptible to rot. While taking this photo I noticed a new growth had rotted. This has happened to me once before. This is despite its location close to the fan.

both are nice particularly the druyi.

I think the vivid yellow will sway most people to the druryi. But when I look at them side by side it is the tonsum for me. Mostly due to the sheer size of the flower. The whole flower of the druryi would fit inside the pouch of the tonsum.

David

Latest posts

Back