Paph. rothschildianum X gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

A long time ago I had the possibility to make a picture of the cross between Paph. rothschildianum and Paph. gratrixianum. The cross was named Paphiopedilum. Lutz Roellke.

PaphiopedilumLutzRoellke-rothschildianumxgratrixianum.jpg

It would be interesting to see also other clones of his cross or hybrids between rothschidianum and insigne, helenae or tranlienianum.

Also very rare are the hybrids between rothschildianum and purpuratum

PaphiopedilumPurpuroth-rothschildianumxpurpuratum.jpg

Paphiopedilum Purpurroth

or with Paphiopedilum javanicum

Paphiopedilumrothschildianum_x_javanicum.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

A multifloral gratrixianum! :clap: Thanks for the pics! Do you have any idea how easy any of these are to bloom?

:eek: I would not be curious to see that! There are better crosses to do with roth and helenae!

being curious to see the cross (which according to Olaf, or at least how I understand his post, has been already done) does not mean the cross will be fantastic and deserve many awards ;) However, knowing the influence of both Roth and helenae in their primaries, I still think it is interesting to see how both species would "react" when put together... and for sure, it will be nicer than roth x hangianum :D

IMO, most helenae primaries are not WOW! and have merits to be crowned as "the best Paphies ever", but they all show interesting features for future breeding, e.g. reduction of plant size (in most of them)... Even though they are not WOW! I particularly have a weakness for them :D and like them even if as ugly as Paph Wössner Helene (yes, some people think it is a nice and even beautiful hybrid, but IMO it is one of ugliest looking helenae primaries I have seen - and have, but still it has something I like on it...)

being curious to see the cross (which according to Olaf, or at least how I understand his post, has been already done) does not mean the cross will be fantastic and deserve many awards ;) However, knowing the influence of both Roth and helenae in their primaries, I still think it is interesting to see how both species would "react" when put together... and for sure, it will be nicer than roth x hangianum :D

Sometimes it is nice to do such an experiment. Lets go for it! I have an helenae left to carry out. Who adds the pollen? Who will sow the seeds of? Who will grow them to maturity?

IMO, most helenae primaries are not WOW! and have merits to be crowned as "the best Paphies ever", but they all show interesting features for future breeding, e.g. reduction of plant size (in most of them)... Even though they are not WOW! I particularly have a weakness for them :D and like them even if as ugly as Paph Wössner Helene (yes, some people think it is a nice and even beautiful hybrid, but IMO it is one of ugliest looking helenae primaries I have seen - and have, but still it has something I like on it...)

I'm with you! I'm a friend of helenae hybrids too and I like Woessner Helene, even if it isn't a beauty.
But to be honest, I'm not a friend of roth hybrids, at least in most cases.

I'm with Rick - not my cup of tea. The trouble is how many of the cross looked like the Lutz Roelke that we see see or the PurpurRoth? I'm with fibre - I don't really have a desire to see roth x helenae. Yes Kavanaru it would be interesting but the time it takes & who wants to waste the bench space.

I like the Paph. Lutz Roellke! I wonder if gratrixianum x philippinense (the one Kevin asked a couple days ago) will be similar??

hehe, Goldenrose, you are right regarding the time and space needed for this or many other crosses... However, my understanding is that this cross has been already done. I would not be surprised if it was done by Franz Glanz himself (Franz Glanz is the owner of Wössner Orchideen, and the maker of all those Wössner-Whatever hybrids you can find). If you see most of the primary crosses he has done with all the "new" vietnamese Paphiopedilum, it seems more like he was just trying to check what would come out of them crossed with whatever he could find in his greenhouse (whether it was to perpetuate the "Wössner" name in the history of Slipper's breeding or just to check the potential of those plants, is a matter of a different discussion). So, I think there is still some growers who would have the time and space for those weird crosses... maybe not, those breeders interested in selected line breeding, but... ;)

I would still be interested in seeing them... as I said, I have a weakness for helenae hybrids, no matter whether they have merits for an "FCC Award" or for a "Right-to-the-Compost Award"

hehe, Goldenrose, you are right regarding the time and space needed for this or many other crosses... However, my understanding is that this cross has been already done. I would not be surprised if it was done by Franz Glanz himself (Franz Glanz is the owner of Wössner Orchideen, and the maker of all those Wössner-Whatever hybrids you can find). If you see most of the primary crosses he has done with all the "new" vietnamese Paphiopedilum, it seems more like he was just trying to check what would come out of them crossed with whatever he could find in his greenhouse (whether it was to perpetuate the "Wössner" name in the history of Slipper's breeding or just to check the potential of those plants, is a matter of a different discussion). So, I think there is still some growers who would have the time and space for those weird crosses... maybe not, those breeders interested in selected line breeding, but... ;)

I would still be interested in seeing them... as I said, I have a weakness for helenae hybrids, no matter whether they have merits for an "FCC Award" or for a "Right-to-the-Compost Award"

I always thought FCC stood for "First Composted Cultivar":evil:

A long time ago I had the possibility to make a picture of the cross between Paph. rothschildianum and Paph. gratrixianum. The cross was named Paphiopedilum. Lutz Roellke.
(...)

It would be interesting to see also other clones of his cross or hybrids between rothschidianum and insigne, helenae or tranlienianum.
(...)
Best greetings

Olaf

This cross really got my interest. I don't think it is beautyful, but I think it is interesting to compare it with Paphiopedilum (gratrixianum x philippinense):

6du9tc.jpg
zx0dnr.jpg

The hybrid of P. gratrixianum with phil has much moore red color in the dorsal, while the one with roth is green there, but has a clear dark drawing. Are this differences because of roth and phil are so very different breeders? Are the used Paphiopedilum gratrixianum cultivars so different or is the name Paphiopedilum gratrixianum today used for very different kind of plants and names as affine, daoense, villosum? Or isn't it possible to decide, if we see only one cultivar of each?

So, what do you think?

Dear Fibre,
at first many thnks that you show the cross of gratrixianum with philippinense.
The problem with gratrixianum was really thet very different plants were cultivated with this name
The cross with rothschildianum were made 20 years ago and flowered 15 years ago. So the coloures of the pictures changed also a bit.

In the end. I did not show the pictures because I love these hybrids. I think these are interesting and very rare in culture. So we can learn on the base of these pictures also for our future hybridizing.

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back