Platanthera lacera - ragged fringed orchid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
As a few of you may know, I'm doing my master's research on American ginseng. While walking to one of my local plots today, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. I've developed a bit of "orchid vision;" whenever I'm outside and see something vertical and with a haze of color around the top I do a double take. This time, I was surprised to see that it was a single Platanthera lacera in absolutely perfect bloom. A quick survey of the forest edge and overgrown field revealed a total of 6 blooming plants. Seeing as I photographed this species on July 20 last year, I was a bit surprised to see it blooming now.

People have always told me that the Nikon D200 is terrible at high ISO but a dream at low ISO, and now I believe it. These were all shot at ISO 100, mostly at f/11.

Platlac3-1.jpg

My favorite shot:
Platlac2-1.jpg

Platlac1-1.jpg

Nice shots! The ISO problem is interesting since it is basically the same issue we used to have with film, but now it is sensor dependent. Some sensors these days are pretty darn good at those higher ISOs, but some really stink.

I love the subtle beauty of this species, but alas I haven't seen one in person since I was in high school! Maybe again one day...Hey, I didn't know you were studying ginseng biology! What is the thrust of your research?

BTW, did you hear that Kodak has finally stopped making Kodachrome 25? Here's a link. Hands down, that was my favorite film even though it was so slow.

Good eye, thanx for sharing. Is it warmer than usual for this time of year where you are?

What is all this!? :p
Well, I photographed them a bit farther north last year. That other stuff is just camera setting info for fellow orchid photographers.

BTW, did you hear that Kodak has finally stopped making Kodachrome 25? Here's a link. Hands down, that was my favorite film even though it was so slow.
Yes, I heard that news. Best film ever. I don't know how well some of the newest films will stand the test of time, but Kodachrome's colors stay quite true. It's passing is truly the end of an era. And I haven't used film in at least 5 years.

Fantastic! I would love to actually see these in the wild! Thanks for the shots and the photo info! :)

nice pictures! always nice to find orchids in places where someone hasn't given you directions to find them... the lacera around Ithaca, NY usually don't pop until around July 13th, and at that they emerge from the ground very quickly before they flower

Latest posts

Back