Phrag. pearcei culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they don't mind being over-potted? Right now it's in a 4" pot and doesn't completely fill it, there's a little space left.

Last edited:
Unlike paphs, phrags can do quite well when overpotted. They also tolerate old media very well. While I try to repot paphs after12-18 months, I usually wait 3 years before repotting phrags.

I'll probably get the stuff from a local hydroponics store but it will be a while until I'm able to get there. If I get an 8"-10" inch pot (twice the size of pot it is in now, sorry, just can't used to idea of wet phrags) what style of pot should I get? I'll be using one with a saucer. There are net pots, regular pots, pots w/ netting only on bottom, slotted pots, ect. And should I use a deep saucer or just a regular shallow one?

When would be best to transfer it? Should I use a little K-L-N rooting stuff?

I grow mine in a little water, I generally keep my fertilizer content pretty low.

What do you understand by pretty low? I prefer a value expressed there ppm Nitrogen or gr/L or tsp / gal of fertilyser. Personally I feed my Phrag. pearceii at 0.5 gr / L MSU 1x week.

I have Dyna-Gro 7-8-6 Urea free and it says use 1/2 tsp. per gallon every watering and that is a 1:1500 ratio. I thought about using 1/4 or 1/8 tsp. per gallon of water. What do you think?

I have Dyna-Gro 7-8-6 Urea free and it says use 1/2 tsp. per gallon every watering and that is a 1:1500 ratio. I thought about using 1/4 or 1/8 tsp. per gallon of water. What do you think?

Not the ideal fertilyser for Phrag. (and other orchids also). Try to use MSU fertilyser or similar. Dyna-Grow fertilyser is to high for Phosphorus and Potassium versus Nitrogen. It has a low content in Calcium and Magnesium and because you will use it more diluted as recommended it will remain in solution for these two vital elements for plants a very very little concentration ... don't forget you need to use rain water or R.O. water. Use MSU or K-Lite fertilysers at 0.5 gr per liter (R.W or R.O. water) and you will see a big improvement in your cultures.
I recommend you to read all the informations about fertilyser from Erik and other on this forum ;).

I couldn't find the 10-5-5 locally. I know MSU is probably better but I kind of have to watch my budget. Maybe there will be some other fertilizers at the orchid show in less than 2 months.

Should I just stop fertlizing all orchids completely until I get some other?

Edit: Maybe I could get some MSU or K-lite. What place online has the best stuff for the best price? Could I use the same stuff for distilled and rain water as I would for well water? I usually use rainwater with all my orchids as much as I can but once in a while I have to use well water. I use store bought distilled water for my phrag, masdevallia, and carnivorous plants.

Last edited:
What is better for a mixed orchid collection in all sorts of media: MSU or K-Lite? See above post for the water I use.^

Thanks for the info. One question that didn't get answered: When should I transfer to semi-hydro and should I use Dyna-Gro N-P-K when I do?

Just wondering, how close should I have it to T5 lights? It is about 13 inches from the tubes. I don't have I light meter. I think I had my plants too close before. Could all the paphs be closer than the phals?

Thanks so much everyone. You really have helped a lot.

Thanks for the info. One question that didn't get answered: When should I transfer to semi-hydro and should I use Dyna-Gro N-P-K when I do?

Just wondering, how close should I have it to T5 lights? It is about 13 inches from the tubes. I don't have I light meter. I think I had my plants too close before. Could all the paphs be closer than the phals?

Thanks so much everyone. You really have helped a lot.

I always like to replant a plant into my own media as soon as I get it. I don't like having someone else's dirt around. ;)

As a general rule the best time to repot any plant is rigfht before it starts to grow new roots.

I won't say whether you should use Dyna-gro right away or not because I would not use it in the first place. Generally I would water with clear water when you repot and then apply fertilizer the next time you water.

The P. pearcei will take all the light you throw at it. In nature they grow in pretty much full sun. But also when they are growing wild they are often mixed in with grass that provide the leaves some shade.

Latest posts

Back