Phrag. pearcei culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the one thing I had problems with, when I had my first pearcei, was in winter the plant was too cool, and didn't grow/rotted. I had had someone tell me that they liked to be 'cool', so I had it near my bedroom window (winter). with it sitting in water most of the time, it sulked and died

later on I was told that it liked what is called 'warm' for upstate ny most of the time, and definitely not near a window in winter! (at least a window that is leaky and the room temp was never over 60F)

the one thing I had problems with, when I had my first pearcei, was in winter the plant was too cool, and didn't grow/rotted. I had had someone tell me that they liked to be 'cool', so I had it near my bedroom window (winter). with it sitting in water most of the time, it sulked and died

later on I was told that it liked what is called 'warm' for upstate ny most of the time, and definitely not near a window in winter! (at least a window that is leaky and the room temp was never over 60F)

Not sure how cool you got to Charles, but I've had both my biggest pearcei since 2001/2002, and at that time I would let my GH get down into the mid 50's at night.

but how warm during the day? that window was also pretty leaky, and may never have gotten over 60 for quite a while. it definitely wasn't trying to do any growing but was happy to decline. it looked reasonably nice when I got it, though. i'm sure you were taking better care of your plant in your setup than I was in my window :(

For hydroponics should I use Dyna-Grow? If so what one? And should I use the fine, medium, or course LECA? The most popular/widely used is medium.

For hydroponics should I use Dyna-Grow? If so what one? And should I use the fine, medium, or course LECA? The most popular/widely used is medium.

I would use a coarse LECA and for a fert (if you don't want to use K lite) use something with relatively low K. Is there a 30 - 10 - 10?

Then use it real weak (like at 20-40 ppm N) in diluted tap or well water.

I saw a 7-9-5 Dyna-Grow fertilizer. There is also 7-7-7 and 10-5-5. to get 20-40 ppm N about how much fertilizer do I use? It says for maintanence use 1/4 - 1/2 a tsp and hydroponics (non-circulating) 1 tsp per gallon. If I do hydroponics use distilled/RO water or hard well water or softened water?

I saw a 7-9-5 Dyna-Grow fertilizer. There is also 7-7-7 and 10-5-5. to get 20-40 ppm N about how much fertilizer do I use? It says for maintanence use 1/4 - 1/2 a tsp and hydroponics (non-circulating) 1 tsp per gallon. If I do hydroponics use distilled/RO water or hard well water or softened water?

I'd use the 10-5-5. At 1/4 tsp/gal you should be down less than 50ppm N.

Does this fert have supplemental Ca and Mg?

Depending on the answer to the above question, I would use RO with enough well water to ge the hardness around 20ppm (as CaCO3) as your base water.

I'm pretty sure it does but not 100% sure. Their site says the fertilizer supplies the 16 nutrients that all plants need.

Here's a picture of the plant I ordered through our local vendor. It had a spike this summer but it aborted do to excessive heat.

Attachments

• My Phrag. pearcei plant.jpg
    My Phrag. pearcei plant.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 26
I think also there wasn't enough humidity or air movement. The grower is in Hawaii.

Any tips on how to grow it without S/H until I get it transfered? I'll be using Dyna-Gro and distilled water. Should I flush it? Water it everyday? Keep it sitting in water? Use sphagnum in some way? I water all my bog plants and carnivores with distilled water in saucers and don't refill the saucers till the saucers are just dry. Would this method work for just a while or permanently?

These guys are just not that picky.

They like lots of water. I don't think it makes that much different if in a basket of moss watered everyday, or in a pot of bark sitting in a saucer of water.

Convinced mine are duds after reading this thread.
Garbage pickup is on Tuesday.

hey remember that I had asked you about those? .. and that you were disgusted with your paph roth and sent it my way and it started growing? maybe the same thing will happen with your pearcei; can't hurt

I counted the growths on mine today and I counted around 15-20 growths. I got it for $50. I know this price is probably quite high but I knew it would be a great plant and it has lots of leaves and lots of roots and is very healthy.

I counted the growths on mine today and I counted around 15-20 growths. I got it for $50. I know this price is probably quite high but I knew it would be a great plant and it has lots of leaves and lots of roots and is very healthy.

15-20 is a small clump (rather than a few divisions) so I don't think $50 is all that high. It should have good blooming potential. One of my pearcei has just kicked in with two spikes. So maybe you'll get to see some blooms in short notice.

15-20 is a small clump (rather than a few divisions) so I don't think $50 is all that high. It should have good blooming potential. One of my pearcei has just kicked in with two spikes. So maybe you'll get to see some blooms in short notice.

Good to know.

I hope to order stuff for S/H soon. I just need the LECA and pot. I thought about ordering from Hydro-Orchids. What size pot should I get? 4" or 5" or bigger? Thanks so much for your help and pictures everyone, especially you Rick!

Latest posts

Back