Paph micranthum, what varity is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leo, my plant is from the Kwongsi sib cross offered by both Orchid Inn (http://orchidinnusa.com/plants.jsp?kind=paphiopedilum&type=species&page=2) and Orchids Limited (http://www.orchidweb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1219). Perhaps it is due to not white-balancing my camera before taking the photo, but my plant has silvery-blue leaves.

OK, both Orchid Inn and Orchids Limited are knowledgable, in fact it was Sam, Orchid Inn, who I got my Kwong See from back in 1993 or 1994. So your sources are good. Must be the camera and lighting not showing the dark color.

Well, I thought the small size was due to stress but maybe I am really surprised! It would be cool to capitalize on this unique trait.

My flower started almost as small as yours, but it did expand to its current size over the course of a week. - yes, instead of dumping these plants as small flowered loosers, let's create a new market for mini-micranthum. :evil: I like the shape of your plant a little better than mine. Starting bids at $$$$.

This is turning out to be an interesting thread. If this helps, here are some of my plants:

These are two of my regular micranthums. To me, the top one looks like the leaf in Rick's photo. The bottom one is a little different but still has the narrow leaves.

And this is micranthum var. eburneum, from Orchid Inn, with darker, broader leaves.

OK, both Orchid Inn and Orchids Limited are knowledgable, in fact it was Sam, Orchid Inn, who I got my Kwong See from back in 1993 or 1994. So your sources are good. Must be the camera and lighting not showing the dark color.

Do you think it could be related to culture, too? I was discussing this issue with someone I consider to be my micranthum mentor, and he told me that wild collected Kwongsi micranthum actually have fairly typical long and narrow leaves. Once in cultivation, the leaf morphology becomes that of what we normally consider to be var. eburneum. He showed a photo of freshly collected micranthum from Kwongsi and they had fairly typical leaves. I wonder just what level of leaf morphology plasticity there is.

Do you think it could be related to culture, too? I was discussing this issue with someone I consider to be my micranthum mentor, and he told me that wild collected Kwongsi micranthum actually have fairly typical long and narrow leaves. Once in cultivation, the leaf morphology becomes that of what we normally consider to be var. eburneum. He showed a photo of freshly collected micranthum from Kwongsi and they had fairly typical leaves. I wonder just what level of leaf morphology plasticity there is.

On plants that I've had for 5+ years (pre dating my humidity control efforts). I've seen huge changes in the size and shape of leaves.

Basically warm dry and bright = short broad leaves, while cool humid and shaded = long relatively narrow leaves (much more surface area in general).

I bet I've seen this about a dozen times, and not just paphs.

Kentuckiense - "Cutlure is Everything" yes, that can dramatically change the way a plant looks. People often under estimate this effect. As I think about it some of my eburnum have thrown new growths with narrow leaves. Let's see what they bloom like.

Joe - your plant var. eburnum is exactly the slight blue shade in the dark green that I see in my var eburnum.

A general note, and something to watch out for. For Paphs that occur in both Viet Nam and in China, there is a long established smuggling route that goes from Viet Nam to China, where the species gets mixed in with plants of Chinese origin. Then from China to Taiwan, from Taiwan to Europe and the USA. Sometimes Europe to USA, also. At each step the origin of the plants may get altered or 'fictionalized'. The final importer may really believe they are getting seedlings raised in cultivation, or what ever they are being told, so there may be no wrong intent on the part of many of the middlemen, or the final seller, but the origin listed for the plants is frequently not what people are being told. Long ago I learned not to be too attached to the stories that people tell me about the origins of their plants. On the other hand, as much as possible I preserve the tale - just in case time and flowers give me evidence it is true. Trust - but don't bet too heavily on it unless you can verify it by some other means. Over the years I had some interesting lies told me, and mistakenly believed most of them, even repeating a few of them out loud and proud. The public embarrassment when shown wrong does teach humility.

Leo

OK, then I will only buy Paph micranthum v. Eburneum in bloom! $$:eek:

If the price is about the same as a regular micranthum, buy it anyway, because worst case, you got another micranthum. And I have never seen a micranthum I didn't like.

If the premium is modest - likely the plant being sold is the Vietnamese variety with the white pouch, a worthy variety in its own right. Somewhat more available than the Kwong See eburnum, but not very common.

But if you are paying a significant premium, it might be better to wait and get one in bloom or a division of a previously bloomed plant with photographs, or a guarranttee that you can return or exchange it if it is not true to type.

Those are my thoughts
Leo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back