New challenge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Canadian milled peat moss - we get it at Home Depot in 2 cu ft bales. There are a lot of small twigs mixed in with it, but we remove these prior to making the mix. Not sure if it's sphagnum peat.

Istvan,

It takes about five years to mature a growth from the time we pot them up individually from compot. At 10" size - and given the proper growing conditions - about three years.

Totally agree! :)

Even more I have heard a presentation of an excursion by one of my orchid lover friend. She -she is a Lady- said that she saw enormous bessae clumps in wild on a completely bald rock and the water coming from the mount is always was flowing around the plants. Imagine the tds of this water...maybe 6-8 ppm?????No more.

Imagine the tds of this water...maybe 6-8 ppm?????No more.

That really is hard to predict from here Istvan

I have spring water gurgling out of limestone rock just down the hill from my house with TDS in the 300-400 range. But N P K will all be less than 1 ppm. Nothing but Ca and Mg for cations. In some cases the limestone around here in TN is very rich in P. But around the world it is rare to find geology with high N and K in drainage.

I have also checked spring water about 50 miles from my house, coming out of a shallow perched aquifer with TDS in the 10 or so ppm range too.

So it really is hard to predict from the comfort of our computers if TDS will be high or low, but you can generally predict the TDS will be mostly calcium and magnesium salts of sulfate, chloride or bicarbonate:wink:

Smething moving into right direction. When I got these olants I almost got hearache when I saw tha all of the begun to rot ( lowest leaves). I emmedialely chage the system, so they don't stand in water only wet gravelin front of fan and I sinkt them into water only 3/4 depth of pot .
One has started to grow a new leaf and a new growth, second has startaed 3 new growts.

Latest posts

Back