New orchid grower in Chicago. Hi.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

howardhenry

Hi,

New user and orchid enthusiast from Chicago. I'm a complete orchid neophyte but am looking forward to learning about and growing them. I'm primarily interested in Paphs (for now) and especially delenatii hybrids. I got interested in orchids earlier this year when I was asked to do a museum exhibit in Chicago. My work as a visual artist involves issues of hybridity, transnational migration, and assimiliation, and I was looking for an elegant object to use as a metaphor for those issues. The more I read about orchids and they way they propagate, grow, and can be hydridized, the more interested I became.

I'll try to attach photos of the orchid piece. I acquired a bunch of delenatii hybrids (Paph. Ho Chi Minh varieties specifically, and other varieties that had origins in Vietnam). I arranged them inside a gallery vitrine in the museum, and for the entire time they were on exhibit I watered them with rainwater that I had harvested in Vietnam and carried back with me earlier this year. (The act of carrying water over borders is a link to the story of how a French lieutenant named D'elenat carried back orchid cuttings from French Indochina in the 1920s.) It was interesting to watch the blooms turn toward the lighting setup in the vitrine, and it was challenging trying to create a microclimate inside the vitrine that would nourish the plants. I put a hygrometer inside the vitrine, and used wet pine bark to increase humidity levels. Over time, when I went to water them, I saw spiders and slugs crawling on the leaves and in the potting medium. Alot of visitors remarked that they've seen photographic exhibitions of orchids, but rarely live orchid plants in a museum that wasn't decoration in the museum cafe.

The Paphs are back in my condo now, on a windowsill. I've snipped the spikes, but new growths are sprouting. This makes me happy.

A big shout out to Jason Fischer of Orchids Unlimited in Minnesota, from whom I acquired my first (and subsequent) batch of plants and for his patience and time in explaining orchid culture to someone with ALOT of questions.

Looking forward to learning more about orchids! The exhibit is over but the interest in orchids has remained. (Especially interested in keeping them alive during a dry winter inside an apartment over a Chicago winter.)

Best,

Howard.

For some reason I am having trouble attaching photos, so I'll start with this one.

Attachments

• Turfwar1.jpg
    Turfwar1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Turfwar5.jpg
    Turfwar5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 45
  • turfwar6.jpg
    turfwar6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
:clap: Another person infected with orchid fever! Unfortunately there is no cure :rollhappy: but part of the treatment is joining this forum and learning more about growing them :) Welcome.
And nice exhibit too!

Welcome to the Chicago Orchid Scene. We have several commercial growers in the area here, and 2 Orchid Societies, the Illinois Orchid Soc meeting at the Chicago Botanic Garden at noon on the 2nd Sunday of the month, next meeting 11/9. And if you are in the western suburbs the Batavia Orchid Society meeting at 7 pm on the 2nd Tuesday eve of the month, next meet 11/11, at the Batavia Public Library on Hwy 31. Both groups are friendly and a great place to meet fellow slipper orchid fanatics. I count the Illinois O S as my home society. See you there perhaps.

Leo

Welcome to the forum! Nice artistic display of orchids! It would be inpressive if you had a Paph vietnamense in the display!

Paphman910

Welcome to the Chicago Orchid Scene. We have several commercial growers in the area here, and 2 Orchid Societies, the Illinois Orchid Soc meeting at the Chicago Botanic Garden at noon on the 2nd Sunday of the month, next meeting 11/9. And if you are in the western suburbs the Batavia Orchid Society meeting at 7 pm on the 2nd Tuesday eve of the month, next meet 11/11, at the Batavia Public Library on Hwy 31. Both groups are friendly and a great place to meet fellow slipper orchid fanatics. I count the Illinois O S as my home society. See you there perhaps.

Leo

Welcome from another Chicago slippertalker. Oddly, I will be speaking on ""New" Vietnamese Paphs" at the November 9th IOS meeting. Thanks for the lead in Leo. Batavia is my "home" society, but a growing family has kept me from meetings that I'm not activley involved in. Cheers!

-Ernie

I really like that display cube/cabinet. Since I decorate very modern, I appreciate it's clean lines.

Hi everyone and thanks for the kind welcome.

I should have listed the plants that I used in the installation. In addition to delenatii hybrids, I also used malipoense and vietnamense hybrids. (Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz, Paph. Wossner Vietam Butterfly, Paph. Joyce Hasegawa, and Paph. Montagnard that I got at Fox Valley.)

I was planning to ask the museum if I could purchase the vitrine and pedestal and use them to house my little collection inside my apartment. It would help with the humidity. We have radiator heat that is very warm but very dry.

Ernie and Lee, the 11/9 meeting and lecture sound fascinating and I would be interested in attending. I have been trying to locate a copy of the Slipper Orchids of Vietnam book (out of print and very $$$$). I travel to Vietnam several times a year, but have never been interested in orchids before. I do know that there is a pretty robust trade (probably illegal) of orchids between collectors and growers in Vietnam and other countries in Asia.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum. I am also from Chicago and love Paphs. I have quite a few P.delenatii and its hybrids.

Welcome from NYC. Was your exhibit at the Art Museum? I consider that one of the best museums in the world. I admire people who can grow in Chicago as the weather has the craziest extremes ever! :)

Hi..And Welcome. I'm in the chicago area also know Leo & Ernie, and you're going to enjoy it here. Jim.

Latest posts

Back