Arpophyllum alpinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
This a first time bloomer for me. I think I picked it up from Andy's a couple of years ago. I grow it probably warmer than it would like but it has still grown and seems to be fine since it's now blooming. I think this is a very under rated genus. I love arpophyllums!

I grow it mounted in the g.h., in high light and it gets watered once a day in Spring-Summer and maybe every 3 days in Fall-Winter.

alpinum.jpg

No plant photo but if you know what giganteum looks like, the plant growth is the same but about 1/2 the size.

Thanx. I fillay got into google and saw some. the plants look very big w long grass-like leaves! :eek: Not like phrags, hardly worth the space! :p

They are very much worth the space. I have an A. giganteum, and the leaves are very rigid, like a long, slender Cattleya-type leaf, or like Cymbidium aliofolium, if you know that one.

Dot, I've heard from some people that this genus may be tricky but I've never had problems getting my other giganteum to bloom either. They are supposedly C to I growing, though I grow mine warm. I think it's the light level folks may have problems with. Mine get high, cattleya light, until they're almost yellowish. Because they're cooler growers, I think people may tend to shade them. Not me, I hang them up and let them fry. And they bloom.

Interesting. We've tried warm/bright, intermediate bright, and even put them outside to get chilled. All they do is grow. :(:mad:

Latest posts

Back