Paph. Wossner Black Wings ‘Adrian Fahrenheit Tepes’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc6847

Reaction score
First multifloral that I can accredit to blooming myself. Brought it to judging and was one point away from an HCC. Everyone wanted to see it back though once more mature. 2847705A-6FA9-47FD-9542-72408C58713F.jpeg
87C52E44-B4D0-4A06-BFC3-813048AD866F.jpeg
0F335B17-8786-41BC-8ED3-887C9E9A2518.jpeg74CED3A7-3641-43D8-A75E-B8EECFB312E4.jpeg

Attachments

• ED417057-0745-43DB-8E2E-A2502318F366.jpeg
    ED417057-0745-43DB-8E2E-A2502318F366.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 0
I agree! It is very attractive. Give it a few years to really mature and pump out 5 flowers and you'll have a winner there I think.

No need to wait for five, three is awardable, four is outstanding, only one awarded WBW has had five flowers.

I am curious what the measurements are on those flowers, at a glance they look to be well within HCC quality range unless they were unusually small.

No need to wait for five, three is awardable, four is outstanding, only one awarded WBW has had five flowers.

I am curious what the measurements are on those flowers, at a glance they look to be well within HCC quality range unless they were unusually small.
Dorsal of the largest flower is 4.9 width, 7.0 length, petal length about 15.5 length, 1.4 width. Lateral spread is 20.7. Their main gripes were the spacing of the flowers and flower count. Turns out, the center I brought it to is known for seeing paphs so that didn’t help, they said it was a “very immature specimen” so I’m assuming they were expecting four flowers or more.

Dorsal of the largest flower is 4.9 width, 7.0 length, petal length about 15.5 length, 1.4 width. Lateral spread is 20.7. Their main gripes were the spacing of the flowers and flower count. Turns out, the center I brought it to is known for seeing paphs so that didn’t help, they said it was a “very immature specimen” so I’m assuming they were expecting four flowers or more.

Sierra Nevada center by chance?

Actually the highest awards have six, with dorsals approaching 7cm, but they're under Johanna Burkhardt because of the adductum/anitum nonsense.

Actually the highest awards have six, with dorsals approaching 7cm, but they're under Johanna Burkhardt because of the adductum/anitum nonsense.

Other centers may differ but at mine they don't consider it their job to debate taxonomy, plants labeled as JB will be compared to the record for JB and plants labeled WBW will be compared to the record for WBW.

Fair enough but honestly, I don't know what's to debate. They can be told apart at a glance ( true roth x adductum has a dorsal color that washes to nearly white basally vs. the green of roth x anitum) and there are no true JB awarded in the last 12 years lol.
All that aside, this is a nice WBW. Bloom it with four bigger flowers and you'll get an award.

Wössner Black Wings `Anja` GM/DOG 05/2023
five flowers are possible, go on, yours is better than mine

Attachments

• p. Wössner Black Wings `Anja` GM DOG 63.JPG
    p. Wössner Black Wings `Anja` GM DOG 63.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
For the grower's sake, let's quantify some things. Shape is good, color is good, no problems there. Spread, at 20.7, is fine, dorsal at 4.9 is quite narrow for this cross. Petal width at 1.4 is fine. Three flowers is acceptable, but it appears to be unstaked, which messed with spacing. Progressive staking would have helped space the flowers better. You can search for the finer details of progressive staking on ST; it's been discussed many times.

The good news: The attributes that came up short on this blooming just happen to be the ones that will improve the most on an adult plant! Spacing, flower count, & segment width improve the most, in my experience.

Here are some dimensions to shoot for: 22cm spread, 5.5cm dorsal width, 1.6cm petal width, 4 flowers. Get to that and you're in AM range.
Personally, I think it should have gotten a 76 as-is.

Thanks for the info! I actually grow this one under lights and staked it while it was growing and tried to progressively lower the plant away from the lights as the spike elongated but I think I might have done so too late causing the flowers to clump up. Not using the stake was for photography purposes only, I’ll have to look up how to stake these better in the future.

Latest posts

Back