To Chc Or Not To Chc?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

davidvaldez33

Hello, I would like some members experiences with growing in CHC as opposed to a bark mix. I have been growing my paphs in a mix of CHC and sphagnum for a few years now and they are growing fine, but whenever I repot them I notice that they have very little or no root hairs. I think this might be a problem as paphs roots that I have seen that were grown in bark have thick root hairs. I switched 4 of my plants into a bark mix in clear pots today to see what happens. If you have any advice or some insights, please let me know. Thanks,
David

you might very well hear the complete opposite from other people but I hate CHC. they stay too wet and brake down much faster than bark, turning into mushy chc.. if you do decide to use them make sure to soak in water for a few days prior to leach out any excess salts in them.. i would suggest using a 2:1 bark to perlite mixture (coarse pieces). this will allow the roots to dry out more often and thus you can push the plants along that much faster..

I'm sorta with Pete. It works ok, but stays too wet for us too long during our long, cold winter in Chicago. I suppose we could learn to use it better, but bark does fine for us.

-Ernie

I love it and have all my plants in it at the moment. One thing I will say is that it does affect the growth of a handful of Paphs I have but the rest are unaffected.

Not sure if it's the medium of not though. I have some amazing results overall.

I had a Porthos that loved it, so I added it to my mix. I use a wide renge of materials in my mixes so I'm not really worried about CHC. HP Norton, famous phrag and Phal grower, stopped using it and others here say there's salt problem w/ chc. Search the threads.

Chc

Hello,
It all depends on what you use with it, how you use it, where you grow and what you grow.

WHAT YOU GROW : I grow Parvis, Coryopetalums and their hybrids mostly hence cannot vouch for any other species and hybrids. Brachys die on me that's for sure, some hybrids with Parvi or Coryo grow well (God's Lady for one).

WHERE : a hot, humid climate will definitely be bad for CHC (see above). The same would be true for a greenhouse (see above). I grow my 168 paphs inside my house where humidity--or the lack of--is a problem. In these conditions, CHC is stable and provides a modicum of humidity. I really recommend it.

HOW : first CHC must be prepared. Two possibilities :
---either the CHC is unwashed and VERY dangerous for plants since the salt contents is very high (see the Antec site for the long, tedious, messy mode of preparation http://ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm) ;
---or the CHC is pre-washed. It must be rinsed thoroughly several times and checked for conductivity.

WHAT YOU USE WITH IT : I use the Antec mix in the Antec proportions (6/3/1) but I never rinse the charcoal (the dust clings to the roots and is a good disinfectant). I use perlite instead of sponge rock (i.e. large-size perlite which is unavailable here) but increasingly I tend to use fine lava rock instead (I grow inside, remember and breathing perlite dust is carcinogenic). The added advantage of lava rock is that it is heavier, and makes the plant/pot more stable.

I do not recommend using bark with CHC because it tends to break down more quickly than CHC which is an absurdity if you want your medium to remain stable. Moreover it is difficult to find wood chunks which allow the medium to breathe--wood pellets are a big no-no for me because they break down very quickly and kill the roots.

Of course, those are not general rules applicable in all cases. They must be adapted to other situations and growers. My 2 cents...

Happy growing
F.

I bought it last year around late spring and repotted with it. This spring everything went back to a bark mix. I didnt like it, I got the feeling that if things got a bit dry, and that is known to happen, it was just bad news. Maybe it was salt, maybe it was CHC bad mojo?

BTW, anybody near South Jersey wanna buy CHC?

I'm experimenting with it a little right now with decent results. I've got a bunch of divisions and extras that I didn't want to put in semi hydro. If I'm going to be donating them to the society auction or selling them, then most folks aren't going to want them in s/h and the medium is expensive for someone to dump it in the garbage. So, I've been growing them out in a probably 50/50 chc, perlite mix. There are a lot of folks who simply hate it and I'm not completely sold after reading the negatives about it.

Candace, I used to grow with CHC when I was growing under lights. I didn't do great with it. So when I got my green house I went to S/H. Most of what I own is in S/H with the exception of some phals, which are in spagnum moss. I however, started doing some experimenting with CHC about 6 or 8months back. I bought some inexpensive paphs. that I'm experimenting with in 2 inch pots and different portions of CHC and expanded clay pellets. I also put some of the larger paphs. into CHC mixs in 4 inch pots. Then maybe 4 months agao I had a chance to purchase 25 unlabeled previously bloomed complex paphs. at a give away price. So I bought them and put them in CHC primarily in clay pots. I did however put a few in 4" square pots. One of the square pots happened to be a clear one. I can tell you I'm impressed in what I'm seeing. I wish I had put more in the see threw pots. Most went into tall clay pots that I get from Michaels craft store and drill extra holes in them. In about a year I plan to upot them and see what I have. It's so deceiving by just looking at the top leaves. We just can't tell what the roots are doing by looking at the leaves. I had so many plants to experiment with I even went so far is to put one or two into just staight CHC. My brain tells me this will kill all the roots but we shall see.

Interesting Bob, keep us posted on your experiements. I can't stand clay pots and since 90% of what I grow is in s/h I use mainly the clear pots too. Of course, they are not clear with all the algae growth. I would think a mix of leca and the chc would be a good one, though it's counter to what I'm trying to do. Most people I trade/sell/give plants to don't want it or know anything about leca.

My 2 cents:
I use CHC with medium diatomite chunks plus some pearlite for my Paphs and Phrags. For the vast majority of the plants, they are doing very well. The few that aren't doing so well don't seem to like anything I've done.

I agree that CHC with bark seems to defeat the purposes of both, but lots of people use it. The advantage of diatomite is that is does not break down, and it does hold water but doesn't get soggy like CHC or bark. To me, the CHC and diatomite seem to compliment each other.

I've been using CHC that comes in brick form. I soak it and rinse it 3x before I use it, even though it says to use it directly.

The one time that I used CHC on a paph. the leaves on the new growth started twisting and turned very pale. The older leaves did not do any of these things. I tried all different kinds of things but it did not get over its problem until I switched back to bark. The leaves stayed twisted but it greened up. I have not tried it again though I still have a bunch left.

I grow in the house and only have time to water most plants once a week. CHC mixed with large perlite (spongerock) and charcoal does well for me in most instances. I have been experimenting with bark mixes as my humidty has risen, but the the CHC still performs better in plastic pots up to 5 inches in diameter. Bigger than that, I switch to a bark mix. The quality of CHC can vary. I have had good luck with the Crystal Company.

I am an ex- CHC user. I still love it for most epiphytes- catts, oncidiums, dendrobiums, in fact all epiphytes except for phals and pleurothallids, which hate it. Phrags hate it too. As for paphs- when I first started CHC, I was impressed....most paphs show an immediate positive response to CHC, which I loaded with spongerock, lava rock, and charcoal. But, over the years I saw that it was really disappointing. Root growth tended to be restricted to the upper inch or two. The stuff rotted as fast as bark, needing yearly (or more frequent) repotting. It would get really gross on the surface, attracting fungus gnats. As for the paph growth- brachy's and parvis liked it, as did most complex paphs and most, but not all, of the insigne type species. Cochlo's liked it too. As for the multiflorals, it depended on the species. haynaldianum and lowii hated it....philipinense and its hybrids loved it. Worst of all were the barbata types, which would develop yellow leaves, then lose roots. I never planted delanatii in CHC, always using my phrag mix of bark, perlite, and sphagnum. And yes, I always soaked it according to the Antec formula....i gal CHC in 5 gal water- plain 1st soaking, 5 tspns each CaNo3 and MgSO4 2nd soaking, plain 3rd and 4th soakings. And this is for "prewashed" CHC. I have now given up on CHC in all my paph mixes, replacing it with bark. I still use CHC exclusively for epiphytes- straight, no other ingredients in the mix,and it lasts until they outgrow the pot without breaking down. Take care, Eric.

Thanks again! I have been growing all of my paphs in it for about 5 years as I have always been scared of bark for some unknown reason. I have always felt that I would over or underwater my plants as I have trouble telling when bark is dry. I have been growing in clay pots on my windowsills. Clay for aesthetics mostly, as I have never been fond of the look of plastic. But alas, I am now switching to clear plastic pots and bark mix for a few of my paphs to see what happens. This way I can see the moisture content and root development. I'm hoping it is a switch for the better! Thank you all for all of your advice! I really appreciate it!
David

I would dispute that Pleuro's hate it. Mine have never grown so well and I've been using it with varying species and hybrids for quite some time. I highly recommend it for them.

Some Paphs love it and a handful I have don't seem to like it despite really good root growth.

Back