Tree Peonies in Winter

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here is a video about tree peonies growing at a local shrine. They are called kanbon ("cold peony") since they flower in the dead of winter, but in fact have a double flowering period, one again in mid spring. Winter temperatures are not extreme here, rarely going below 28 F, but snow storms and rains are common. For this reason a little shelter is made over each plant.

So, have a look at how Japanese gardeners grow these plants:

Japanese Tree Peonies in Winter

Botan7_zps5f092cd5.jpg

Tree peonies are such special plants and this pink is a beauty. They're very
long-lived and very slow growers usually. I think I'm too old to buy one
and live to see it bloom. The protective cover is a very clever idea. When
the herbaceous peonies are in full bloom in KY, we have a rain storm that
knocks every bloom to the ground. You can time it, damnit!

Is this particular peony naturally small? Most of the tree peonies I've seen are
very large plants when mature.

really beautifull tom.
I love paeonie, and have a lot of tree ones and ground ones.
I did not know that there are a kind which can bloom twice a year.
Are you able to get seed for me.
I have a rockii which grows like hell, and produce a lot of seed every year
the seedlings show that they are turning well too.

Oh don't you show that! Make me invy....can't grow them where I live now - if I could, I possibly had no orchids at all!!! The most lovely paeonies!

Is this particular peony naturally small? Most of the tree peonies I've seen are very large plants when mature.

From what I've heard these are bud mutants that are naturally smaller than normal varieties. If that weren't confusing enough, there also exists another type called Fuyu Botan (winter peony) that is in fact forced and then planted outside. True Kan Botan are not forced, but flower twice a year once in winter with smaller flowers and foliage, and again in spring, but with larger dimensions. Now, exactly how they are maintained to optimize flowering and growth, I don't know for sure. I need to do more research!

I did not know that there are a kind which can bloom twice a year.
Are you able to get seed for me.
I have a rockii which grows like hell, and produce a lot of seed every year
the seedlings show that they are turning well too.

Hey Christoph, as I said above, these appear to be bud mutants. I think many are grafted as well, so I'm not sure about seed production on these. I am going to try to buy a true Kan Botan this year and see how it grows for me. I'll keep you informed!

I planted a Tree Peony in 2007, and didn't expect it to bloom for me for years. Lo and behold in 2009, it did in fact bloom! It hasn't bloomed since, chiefly because I have a hard time keeping the buds from freezing during our cold springs. I cover the plant up with peat moss (and this year a rose hut) to get it through our winters; the challenge is to uncover it at the right time...I'm still working on mastering the right time. :eek: On a positive note, I haven't lost the plant.

This is supposed to be Kamata-nishiki, but it was tagged incorrectly. My notes say the fragrance was heavenly...

IMG_2680.jpg
IMG_2724.jpg

try to get rockii they show to be more harder then the normal ones,
they was strting growth and it came -20C for 2 weeks last year and she bloomed without a problem. I have seed if you want.

Mine started to bloom after 3 years of germination.

Linus, loved the photo of the parasols shading the peony garden...as I said
previously about rain and peonies here.

I'll try to find a rockii. I have the best garden center in KY right next door
and my sister-in-law can order any plant I want if she can find it. Thank
you for the tip.

Thanks for that interesting sequence Tom!!!! Peonies are def. great flowers, and that very care taking growing is most impressive!!!! Jean

Back