Spring rules

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a clump of Cyp. formosanum that started from just a single growth 5 years ago. It currently has 10 growths and 9 flowers. Once these get going they expand nicely.

CypFormosanumCLMPSM.jpg

WOW -- and a beautiful photo, besides.

You gotta have 11 of them to make a soccer team.. :p

You got me on that one :rollhappy: Maybe next year I'll have two teams!

Dang! I wish I had woods like that!

Me too! This is a neighbor's backyard that he has so graciously allowed me to have a garden in. That is an opportunity that is pretty fantastic since I am a foreigner and live on the verge of the largest urban center in southern Japan. As my girlfriend likes to say, "you are so lucky". Let's hope that luck holds out...

Thanx for the info, I have spanish moss growing in my apt, is that weird? Love the cyps. :)

Without question Eric, you are weird. Are you growing it on the stove? :rollhappy:

WOW -- and a beautiful photo, besides.

Dot, to be honest I was a bit taken back by how nicely they grew this year. The trick with C. formosanum and C. japonicum is to plant them and then LEAVE THEM ALONE. The first couple seasons they will grow, but flower a bit poorly. By the third year they begin to pick up steam and by the fourth or fifth year they take off. All things equal, this specimen might more than double its stems again this year. If memory serves (that is a bit dicey as time goes on :rollhappy:) this plant's history with me goes like this:

1st season - one growth, no flowers
2nd season - two growths, two flowers
3rd season - three growths, two flowers (plant moved in the fall)
4th season - 5 growths, five flowers
5th season - 10 growths, 9 flowers
6th season - more I hope!

It should be said that C. formosanum is a much easier plant to grow than C. japonicum. Once I get some good shots of C. japonicum, I'll post a separate thread on these.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back