Selfing 2nd generation hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
I have a Magic Lantern x hangianum that I love very much and looks like it's gonna bloom again soon. What would I get if I self it? Is it even worth the effort?

I would say self it, you are thinking about it now already, if you don't after the fact, you will regret it

You love it, but making an honest assessment... Is it above average in quality for the cross? Is it a healthy plant that grows well? Are there qualities of the parents that would make you love it even more if they came through more strongly in the hybrid? Yes? Go!

How did your flower turn out?
Or have you already posted in the past?
I would love to see it as I love both Liberty Taiwan and In-Charm Handel.

I can only think of good outcome. :)

How did your flower turn out?
Or have you already posted in the past?
I would love to see it as I love both Liberty Taiwan and In-Charm Handel.

I can only think of good outcome. :)

It looked like a light pink hangianum. Hardly any marking. Around 11cm across. It's quite lovely. It was one of the blooms I didn't get to post because I was quite busy at the time. Plant is vigorous and compact. Can't wait to see it in bloom again.

It sounds amazing!
Based on your description, it must have looked like a nice In-Charm Handel and the small plant size from micranthum.
Best of all the species involved!!!

Do you have pictures???

It's my dream to have a nice In-Charm Handel.
Mine are all getting rather big without ever wanting to flower. lol

It sounds amazing!
Based on your description, it must have looked like a nice In-Charm Handel and the small plant size from micranthum.
Best of all the species involved!!!

Do you have pictures???

It's my dream to have a nice In-Charm Handel.
Mine are all getting rather big without ever wanting to flower. lol

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take photos of the flower. The shape is like hangianum, not ICH. I do want nice In-charm Handels too...

"Good" ICH looks like pink hang.
Ugly ones have these excessively long or wavy petals with narrow dorsal.

You should have taken photos of it.
Sounds like you struck gold!!!
Good shape and a compact vigorous grower!

I wonder when mind will bloom. Yawn~

I have a few mature ones with multiple growths. The leaf spans are about 8-13in. They all keep growing and growing. Nice shiny & patterned leaves, so I don't mind looking at them, but I would love some flowers.

Latest posts

Back